What's new
What's new

CNC Coolant Disposal Cost?

Tillbilly

Plastic
I'm doing research for a start-up business looking into cheaper/faster ways to process/recycle emulsion waste. For soluble cutting oil used in CNC machines for metal, how much do you pay for disposal of the waste fluid when you get rid of it? Also, How frequently do you generate waste that needs to be hauled off? I've heard everything from never to once a month....

A local recycler comes out and picks up ours along with waste oil (vacuums it all into the same tank) as long as we have 150 gal. or more.

I want to say it was something like a dollar a gallon.

It may depend on jurisdiction and materials cut. Some materials can leave dangerous levels of chrome or other contaminants in the coolant, those might have to be handled differently than coolants only used on (for instance) Al.

Also consider cost of solids and filters disposal from reprocessing. Not to mention just the moving/storage of large amounts of liquid, and what happens if you have a spill?

HELLO!

tap, tap, tap ....

Is this thing on?

They're of stone in his county.... :dopeslap:

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

HELLO!

tap, tap, tap ....

Is this thing on?

They're of stone in his county.... :dopeslap:

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I just see "Location-Georgia"

Maybe "Stone Mountain" ?
Or "Rocky top" ?

What on Earth am I a'gunna doo with you.... ???

Rocky Top is in Tennessee Y'all!
tsk.gif

DSCN0896_zps0krpxgdh.jpg

------------------

Good Ole' Rocky Top
Ox

Few years ago found a vendor that does it for $490.00 per 55 gal drum, i am on Long Island so they take the drum away to NJ somewhere. Used to pay $675.00 with Safety Clean

Oh for Petey's sakes - DON'T _ doo _ that!
His head is big enough as 'tiss! :willy_nilly:

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Heck, I suggested the dirt road....how big is that ?

I got a 1000 gallon brine tank on my place (for the gas well) and
someone comes and takes it, to put on the dirt roads.

With proper paperwork (and payments to the state)

"Because NJ got first choice."

--------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I guess it is first choice, it is closest.
I am only generating about a 55 gal drum a year, thats with 4 CNC machines running skimmers 24/7

That's the punchline to an old joke.

"Why does California have so many lawyers, and NJ has so many Hazardous Waste dumps?"

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Few years ago found a vendor that does it for $490.00 per 55 gal drum, i am on Long Island so they take the drum away to NJ somewhere. Used to pay $675.00 with Safety Clean

Holy Shitballs!!!

Don't know if it's because of only 55 gallons, but Damm! That's $9/gallon!

I save mine into 6 drums and have the disposal guys come out once every 2-3 years, but the figure is close to the 'hood of $1.00 - $1.20.

LOL yeah thats Long Island rent here right now is getting close to about $12.00/foot (industrial) when you start getting closer to the city it is even higher.

We looked at getting guys in to build and install a separator system to filter off dirt and oils and then at the end you land up with pretty much water that cannot do much harm if you just let it run out on to the ground. The original idea was to use as a wash bay for the high pressure washer but if we could throw our coolant down into it, it would be a bonus.

It was a pretty pricey quote but their mistake was that they virtually give you the layout in one of their brochures. We built one ourselves since we have a builder that actually works for us full time, when not building he is a machine operator. It's a 3 tank system, first one is where most of the crap stays, it then filters into the next tank and that one eventually into the third.
The third leaves you with water that you can safely throw on your driveway or down a drain if you want to. They are about 1000L each.

We only started using them a few months ago so it will be a while before we need to get a truck in to pump the first tank out. Our thinking is that to get a truck in to pump a larger volume out in one go will work out loads cheaper than drips and drabs. Also we are trying to go more environmentally conscientious with all of the washing of used machines that we do (I am sure a lot of you know how "great" old oils and grease wash off) so it's an added bonus

Holy Shitballs!!!

Don't know if it's because of only 55 gallons, but Damm! That's $9/gallon!

I save mine into 6 drums and have the disposal guys come out once every 2-3 years, but the figure is close to the 'hood of $1.00 - $1.20.

It is because of location, a place I worked for in So Cal was paying $8 a gallon and that was darn near 30 years ago.

Back