What's new
What's new

CNC countersink tooling

Duc

Aluminum
Looking for some opinion on tooling for countersinking inside the VMC. Tried searching for some info but coming up a little empty.

Product
6061-T6
.250 thickness -/+ .030
100 degree countersink
.385 diameter on the countersink.-/+ .030
.201 thru hole
Mounting is from the bottom of the part

The part has wide open tolerances but would like to keep the tolerance much lower for a consistent part. The varying height is changing the diameter of the countersink to much. I have found a few Micro-stop countersink tools that also have over-travel built into the tool.

1. Cogsdill ML-300-OT for $300
2. 2L inc CNC Countersink Depth Stop Tool Used For Countersinking Controls Countersink Depth on Uneven Surfaces $595
3. Floating tap head loaded with a standard microstop. ~$150

Any other suggestions. The Fadal does not have a touch probe setup to check the height of each part.

Either make the part more consistent or select them for size.

100 degree csink will be more than twice the variance per thou of depth change, so if you selected them you should be able to run them in 4 lots I would think
-.03 to 0.015
-.015 to 0
0 to +.015
+.015 to +.03

Just change the csink depth after each set

virtually no run time change, just measuring time, again, depending on what you are doing, a few to 15 minutes per 100

most people want their csinks oversize, dunno why 100 degree on 1/4 stock, but whatever

Do the countersinks as a second op using a drill press and microstop countersink. Gives the operator something to do while the part is running

I second measuring each part and c’sink them in lots based on size you could use a 3/8 diameter c’sink but you run the risk of leaving a round C’bored portion at the top of your c’sink

If you're getting material 1/4" +-.03 thick from the supplier, fix that!!! If you're machining it to that thickness, fix that!!!

R

Do the countersinks as a second op using a drill press and microstop countersink. Gives the operator something to do while the part is running

Some how I do not own a drill press due to lack of room in my shop. To much other pieces of equipment. But yes this would be the easiest way.

Either make the part more consistent or select them for size.

100 degree csink will be more than twice the variance per thou of depth change, so if you selected them you should be able to run them in 4 lots I would think
-.03 to 0.015
-.015 to 0
0 to +.015
+.015 to +.03

Just change the csink depth after each set

virtually no run time change, just measuring time, again, depending on what you are doing, a few to 15 minutes per 100

most people want their csinks oversize, dunno why 100 degree on 1/4 stock, but whatever

A lot of aerospace screws are 100 degree heads.

If you're getting material 1/4" +-.03 thick from the supplier, fix that!!! If you're machining it to that thickness, fix that!!!

R

Parts are not varying +-.03 but .005 but drawings allow a large variance. Perfection can be a problem. Buddy has purchased the 2L unit and we shall see how well it work.

Figure I would give a update to the thread.

Purchased the Cogsdill CNC countersinking tool with overtravel. Works amazing and uses cheap aircraft threaded countersinks for $20. Programmed in .075in of overtravel and was able to hit .004 variance in diameter for countersink across all of them.

Total cost $250 for the tool.

Back