Thread: CNC Crash

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation CNC Crash

Hello everyone,
    I had a minor crash from which it resulted a big problem.
    The sub-spindle collided with a tool post and now it is not centered with the main-spindle.
    I've checked with 2 calibrated bars of 4 mm diameter and set them apart by 0.25 mm but I managed to insert a 0.6 mm plate between the bars, so they are approximately 0.35 mm apart.
    Is there any way I can reset the machine to its factory reference points? It's hard to imagine the sub-spindle head shifted from its place from the collision, or did it ?!
    I have attached two pictures showing the unalignment between the sub-spindle and backwork toolpost.
    The machine is a Tornos Swiss Gt13 with Fanuc 32i
    Is this an mechanical problem or can it be solved by reseting something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whatsapp-image-2019-08-23-19.07.33.jpg   whatsapp-image-2019-08-24-16.00.33.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mechanical issue if the two spindles aren't aligned. And yes any crash can do this. The sub spindle must be re-aligned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, you need a full alignment. This can be compensated with the Grid Shift (at least, on my Citizens it can), but I wouldn't recommend it, that's a kludge, and if you hit it hard enough to knock it out this much, an alignment is the best fix.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it has any taper pins I would pull them and re-align. Most likely they aren't parallel to each other anymore either. I'm not familiar with this machine but I would also check the alignment of the tool post, as a crash on a turret machine can easily move the curvic coupling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the sub on the GT13 moves in 3-axes.

If you chuck up a ground pin and there's no angular misalignment, it's possible one of the motor/ballscrew shaft couplings slipped. John Grimsmo has this machine and mentioned something like this happening recently in his podcast.

I had something similar happen on a linear pallet changer where overhanging fixtures collided and the coupling slipped. In my case it moved a lot more than .35mmm. The coupling was checked for tightness but not reassembled, and the actual fix was done strictly in software, by setting a new home position in the parameters. Took 15-30 minutes.

I bumped the subspindle on a "regular" lathe as well. No parts needed replacing, but there was angular misalignment which required a full realignment. Took an entire day.

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the replies.
    The sub-spindle has 2 axis, X and Z and there's a tool post which gives it the 3rd axis Y.
    The collision was done on a short distance with the Y tool post, about 20 mm, its hard for me to imagine it made this much damage but apparently it did.
    I will talk with the supplier tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0986.jpg  

Country
    ROMANIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of equipment would it be needed to do such a re-alignment ?