CNC Drilling Question - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    it retracts to the R plane, R stands for Retract. When you post it longhand, you can make it do whatever you want, and it will run on any machine, any control.
    Thanks, Larry! That’s what I thought...so the OP is going to have to get at least a little creative because there is no single canned cycle that will give him exactly what he is asking for (get to Z-3 quickly yet peck retract above the part), although Tom’s G73 suggestion might be worth a shot even if it doesn’t bring the tool all the way back above the part per the OP’s original desire.

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlinger View Post
    Right, but I think OP wants to peck and retract above the part for chip clearance. Wait...does G98G83.... retract to initial Z point or R-plane while pecking for chip clearing???? I thought the individual pecks always back off to R plane and G98/99 only affect where it retracts to after reaching final z depth??
    I'm dumb. Sorry. Yes, you need a subprogram/macro for that.

3. Likes Nerdlinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2quix View Post
    So im currently drilling alot of deep holes in our mould. Ive pre-drilled all the holes 3" deep with a shorter drill before going in with a longer drill to reach the required depth. My question is, is there a way to get it to start 2.9" down inside the holes, but come back up past the top of the piece for chip clearance. Right now we have it cutting 3" of air before it even starts to cut material. And add on top of that if the drill dulls having to sharpen it and start that hole all over again.

Thanks.
    Or....you could spot, drill with a stub drill to whatever depth to get beyond the drill point of finish drill, mill hole to size of finish drill and flat bottom to remove drill point then finish drill the holes. Just keep the finish drill engaged in the hole while pecking.