What's new
What's new

CNC grinding method of manufacture

luke1985

Plastic
I am applying for a grinding position in which training will be provided, I currently have skills in manual milling and turning and setting and operating of CNC mill grinders. I have been given a question about the method of manufacture of a part which will determine whether I get an interview or not but I don't have much knowledge of CNC cylindrical grinding. I have attached the drawing, the material is tungsten carbide. Can anyone tell me step by step how this would be produced on a CNC grinder.Screenshot_20200210_153757_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I am applying for a grinding position in which training will be provided, I currently have skills in manual milling and turning and setting and operating of CNC mill grinders. I have been given a question about the method of manufacture of a part which will determine whether I get an interview or not but I don't have much knowledge of CNC cylindrical grinding. I have attached the drawing, the material is tungsten carbide. Can anyone tell me step by step how this would be produced on a CNC grinder.View attachment 278279

That's a pretty interesting pre-interview question.

You might also consider posting this query in the abrasives section too. There's some very knowledgeable grinding folks there as well.

What is the exact question they pose with that print ? If you don't mind me asking ?

I'm wondering if they are testing your grinding knowledge or just basically your ability to read the print correctly and have some ability to devise sensible order of operations...

Do they require you to sketch out some of the G code for this (in partial pseudo non machine specific G code based processes ?)

That's a pretty interesting pre-interview question.

You might also consider posting this query in the abrasives section too. There's some very knowledgeable grinding folks there as well.

What is the exact question they pose with that print ? If you don't mind me asking ?

I'm wondering if they are testing your grinding knowledge or just basically your ability to read the print correctly and have some ability to devise sensible order of operations...

Do they require you to sketch out some of the G code for this (in partial pseudo non machine specific G code based processes ?)
Thanks mate I'll get this posted in the abrasives section also.

The exact question they asked is as follows

Further to your recent email for the grinding position, please can you complete the attached test piece before we progress any further. If you can please just jot a few notes down on how you would work/programme this piece. The material is tungsten carbide.

I'd say the right answer is "I dont know how to do it, but I'm a quick learner". I dont see how it would be fair to the employer if we help you cheat on the test.

I'd say the right answer is "I dont know how to do it, but I'm a quick learner". I dont see how it would be fair to the employer if we help you cheat on the test.

Also not fair to himself.

Get a job that you'll excel in. Not a job that you'll squeak by in.

and hope your potential new boss isn't a forum member :dunce:
I fully intend making them aware that I have no experience in this but trying to show a bit of initiative in that I've taken the time to do a bit of research

Thanks mate I'll get this posted in the abrasives section also.

The exact question they asked is as follows

Further to your recent email for the grinding position, please can you complete the attached test piece before we progress any further. If you can please just jot a few notes down on how you would work/programme this piece. The material is tungsten carbide.

1. Don't cross post.
2. Who is getting this job ? you or us ?

I fully intend making them aware that I have no experience in this but trying to show a bit of initiative in that I've taken the time to do a bit of research

"googling" aint research.

This isn't helpful to the OP at all but I disagree always getting a job you excel in. Where is the fun in that? Branching out and being challenged daily is great most times.

Sounds like he will be straight up with them and he is taking some steps to at least learn. Sometimes its hard to start without some good key words or links to get you going. Only been around those machines a few times and never ran one, would be hard to get that experience outside of a job.

I think the correct answer would be:
I don't know. ......
What is the raw stock preform? Any ops before me? What machines, wheels and centers are at my disposal and time to swap wheels? What is the quantity to be run? Am I grinding all the OD features in one clamp? Do I have any controlled datums?
YouTube
I do not think any two carbide shops would process this part the same way and them asking such a question seems rather weird and strange.
Grinding such out of carbide is different than grinding it out of steel and maybe that is what they are seeking.

I do hate cross posts, once in and recommended elsewhere is it possible to delete the first or maybe a redirect message would work.
Just had this happen, opened a clone question wondering where my post went on what insert fits.
I'm sitting there thinking "I know I answered this, why is MattiJ's and my info not here?"
I'm so easily confused.

For those who do not know a Haas multigrind is a very different Haas company than the one you may be thinking of.
That is also confusing..... German made very high precision grinders.
YouTube
Bob

Would the part be manufactured from a solid piece of carbide? I would assume not, probably manufactured from a preform. There really aren't any cutting edges on the part which suggests that it would more than likely be ground on a CNC O.D. grinder like a Toyoda, Reinecker or Rollomatic.

John

Haas multigrind

Youre in luck Luke ;)

Just so happens Ive programmed and ran one of those... and worked carbide it in.

I cant tell much from your "print", but maybe seeing the machine run might exercise your thoughts.

Looks my my old company took down my videos.... Ill see if i can upload something to my youtube channel later on.

EDIT:

Here ya go

Back