What's new
What's new

CNC honing

shanesuan

Aluminum
Has anyone on here had any experience honing on a CNC? I found a company online called Bates Technologies that looks pretty cool. I have a production part made out of Rene 41 with a Ø.7500" +/-.0002 blind bore that's roughly 4.5" deep. It has a .170 wide relief at the bottom. This part takes way to long to hone manually and I need to find a way to automate it and hold tolerance. Any suggestions?

Shane
cncdirt.com

I know more than I care too about manual honing. Thirteen seconds into the video and I would be picking up the phone and calling them if I needed that sort of work..
just saying

Rene41 does not like to be burnished or machined for that matter. I can't hold a close enough tolerance boring the hole. It's diameter to length ration is too high. Rene41 is a nickel alloy with 19% chrome, 10% molybdenum, & 10% cobalt.
So the hone questioner is a Burnishing expert?

a well known, high flying company is using them on Inconel. with roughly a 8-10x length to dia ratio

...and you should see the surface finish!!

It comes in @ a 3
:eek:

So the hone questioner is a Burnishing expert?

a well known, high flying company is using them on Inconel. with roughly a 8-10x length to dia ratio

...and you should see the surface finish!!

It comes in @ a 3
:eek:

I'm definitely not an expert in burnishing, but the little I have done required the bore diameter to be held closer than +/-.001". So far I haven't been able to hold any tighter than that. Are they reaming first?

Actually they are burnishing an od that is buried inside a part.
Yeah one does have to hold a close tolerance with specified surface roughness prior to burnishing operation.
Reamer will give you the size might have to experiment with the feed as to not make it too smooth.
That about all I know, not an expert either.
Let us know what ends up working for you.

Back