What's new
What's new

CNC Knee Mill, splash guard design and retrofit - Your ideas

endlesscustom

Plastic
Hey everyone,

I've recently moved my shop into a new location (smaller sadly) and am just about setup and ready to start making chips again. For the past couple of years I've fought with coolant splashing all over the place through a few methods. This machine just wasn't setup to keep the surrounding area very dry!

I've done this with a few layers that all are kind of effective working together:

1. 3/4" Loc-Line (about 1 foot long) is mounted right below the spindle, dead center of machine. I have a 2/3 cylinder, about 10" OD, 6" long plexiglass curved. This can be put around the spindle as it cuts, capturing a good bit of the splashing.
2. Cut foam board on the front/sides of the table, about 8" high. Attached with clamps or to the front of the vise. These kept some more of the residual splashing down.

Not pictured, the machine does have a catch pan that sits under it, abour 4x4ft square with 1" tall walls. This does a decent job of catching what falls,

To my point-I want to create a better system. The loc-line guard is good, but the foam isn't the best. Does anyone have some ideas? I've seen a number of things over the years in my searching, but none seem too effective.

Let me know if you've had any luck solving this problem! See attached picture of the mill.

Travis

Attachments

• 20190626_194425.jpg
    20190626_194425.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 117

Back