What's new
What's new

CNC lathe Adjustable small drill/reamer holders

Delw

Stainless
With brookfield not making there holders for quite a long time, what are you guys using to hold your small center drills, drills reamers and taps.

Thanks

How small?

I seem to remember you do Swiss as well.

I use these: Floating Reamer Holders for Micro-Reamers - GenSwiss

The citizen I am covered on but I like those holders you showede for reaming.
its the other 4 lathes I'd like to get some for mainly drilling and center drilling. I generally make my own bushings but time constraints are beginning to be an issue and small ones are a pain when you need them asap.
I have about 6 brook fields in the small one and the med one(1/4" max)
the 2 bigger machines tool blocks are off about .008 (not turret) the Miyano we have the turret and spindle dead nuts

would like up to 3/16 or a tad more down to .040

I cant even find anything close to brookfields. ebay tends to have worn out junk and cracked clamps and buggered up screw holes
I had thought of making some adjustable head ones like you showed using er16 collets but ones for drilling that I can set and lock down.

heres a pic of the brookfields
img03042017_0001-3_d600.jpg

Somma has pretty decent holders. I have a mix of Somma and Brookfield for use on a hand turret lathe. You know your getting old when you out last all the suppliers you used when you were young.

On my Omniturns I never use the adjustable ones. There I use a combination of Hardinge 1c collet holders and split bushings for critical alignment. Spellman split bushings for less critical stuff. There is another one that quit making bushings (Spellman).

Somma has pretty decent holders. I have a mix of Somma and Brookfield for use on a hand turret lathe. You know your getting old when you out last all the suppliers you used when you were young.

On my Omniturns I never use the adjustable ones. There I use a combination of Hardinge 1c collet holders and split bushings for critical alignment. Spellman split bushings for less critical stuff. There is another one that quit making bushings (Spellman).

I have a shit pot of 5/8's hardinge split bushing for my omni's, I also use them on the citizen all the time. had to make a good bushing to put them in though.
my brook fields I got in the late 80's early 90's LOL bought a dozen of them back then, now I have around 6.
Ill check out somma thanks

The citizen I am covered on but I like those holders you showede for reaming.
its the other 4 lathes I'd like to get some for mainly drilling and center drilling. I generally make my own bushings but time constraints are beginning to be an issue and small ones are a pain when you need them asap.
I have about 6 brook fields in the small one and the med one(1/4" max)
the 2 bigger machines tool blocks are off about .008 (not turret) the Miyano we have the turret and spindle dead nuts

would like up to 3/16 or a tad more down to .040

I cant even find anything close to brookfields. ebay tends to have worn out junk and cracked clamps and buggered up screw holes
I had thought of making some adjustable head ones like you showed using er16 collets but ones for drilling that I can set and lock down.

heres a pic of the brookfields
View attachment 267965

You want the Graf N105 system, seen here: https://www.graf-werkzeugsysteme.de/kundendaten/Kat_Hoehenverstellbar-Rueckseitenbear-2018.pdf

They're either a sister company or a partner with Horn, not sure which, but you can get them from whoever you buy Horn products from.

You want the adjustable base plate, and the ER16 collet holder, which will go up to your 3/16" and down to your .040". They're even plumbed for coolant through.

I have some Zurn axial VDI holders that are Y-axis adjustable.

Another effective method is to use an eccentric sleeve and a cylindrical shank ER holder. The ones made for offsetting insert drills work ok for this, except that most holders have the set screws in the wrong plane for those sleeves.

You want the Graf N105 system

You are full of useful links today! Another one to bookmark...

You are full of useful links today! Another one to bookmark...

Yes he is, and this one is exactly what I am looking for.

You want the Graf N105 system, seen here: https://www.graf-werkzeugsysteme.de/kundendaten/Kat_Hoehenverstellbar-Rueckseitenbear-2018.pdf

They're either a sister company or a partner with Horn, not sure which, but you can get them from whoever you buy Horn products from.

You want the adjustable base plate, and the ER16 collet holder, which will go up to your 3/16" and down to your .040". They're even plumbed for coolant through.

Thanks Teach Me Please. Have you used them? they look easier to set up than the brook fields also

Yes he is, and this one is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks Teach Me Please. Have you used them? they look easier to set up than the brook fields also

I have used them, pretty simple to swing in with an indicator. They also make attachments for turning/facing tools for standard 35° and 55° inserts, and there's an attachment to hold the standard Horn series 105 boring bars/broaches/grooving tools.

I think there's even more stuff, but those are the only ones I have experience with. Talk to your Horn person, they should be able to get you a catalog. If you view their website on Google Chrome and use the built in translate option, it's surprisingly easy to navigate.

The micro drill holder I would like to see has not been built yet. It would be a precision nut (ER-11) with a 5/8 OD and a flat on it for set screws. You would tighten it with an Allen wrench on the part that would normally be the shank. Also the nut would have a shoulder so you could preset the tools.

Back