Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I scrapped two Southbend Magnaturn pieces of crap
    MagnaTurn? Wasn't that the bastard creation between Southbend and Bridgeport? Hydraulically controlled axes? I ran one of those in the '80s.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madbaby View Post
    Flight parts go through a multi-stage research, design, development and certification process. There is a blue, red, and black phase for a flight critical part. It can take a decade to go blue-red-black. Blue parts are R&D prototypes and fly as a fully redundant system. What we learn from blue testing is applied towards developing the red-label. Red-label parts perform to CONOPS, but fly experimental (no passangers) for FAA to certify it (issue AWR). The AWR captures the design, machining, tooling - these are now your black-label parts. Once AWR is issued for a part it becomes federal law it gets manufactured to conform to AWR. Black-label production is where million dollar machine tools, robotic manufacturing cells, proporietary coatings, stress relief chambers, cyrogenics, ultrasonics, radiography, fluorescent penetrants - nothing held back. And it is all run by greenhorns. We do not know what we are doing but we are good at it

I am buying a HAAS TL-1. I am buying it for myself. I plan to do greenhorn stuff with it.
    I've been in Aerospace for a long time. What you are talking about has nothing to do with the manufacture of any given part. All the Blue, Red, Black is at the FAA level. And really no one does it anymore. Because it's too much Bureaucracy. And takes too long (as you said, 10+ years from Blue to Black). Too hard to make money that way. That's why most people sub. through Boning, Martin, Airbus. But there are a Metric shit ton of flight component manufacturers that don't deal with it at all.

But yeah a TL-1 just barely qualifies as a non hobby Machine, due to popularity, not quality. But good luck!!

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    MagnaTurn? Wasn't that the bastard creation between Southbend and Bridgeport? Hydraulically controlled axes? I ran one of those in the '80s.
    The axis were hydraulically controlled, don't know if it was BP & SB creating them, the turret was on a round slide, no ball screws, everything was controlled by opposing hydraulic pressure. Supposedly the smaller model of that era had ball screws, my two 1220 model machines did not. The crazy thing is when I bought them they were running production and the owner let me set one up to run a repeating part I made. One of them never ran again after I moved it to my shop, the other ran intermittently, usually never up for more that a week at a time. I figured even if they were trash I could make one good machine out of two bad ones, I was wrong. When I found out I would have to pay $660 just to have a scrapper haul them off I joined PM hoping someone would take them for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The axis were hydraulically controlled, don't know if it was BP & SB creating them
    Bridgeport and Southbend got in bed together to build the Magnaturn. Southbend built the hardware and Bridgeport built the CAM software. The one where I worked was down more than up. I think I still have a copy of the lathe software on a 3 1/2 floppy somewhere. I remember it well because it was PC based, and we could shut down the lathe software and play PC games on it at lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I've been in Aerospace for a long time. What you are talking about has nothing to do with the manufacture of any given part. All the Blue, Red, Black is at the FAA level. And really no one does it anymore. Because it's too much Bureaucracy. And takes too long (as you said, 10+ years from Blue to Black). Too hard to make money that way. That's why most people sub. through Boning, Martin, Airbus. But there are a Metric shit ton of flight component manufacturers that don't deal with it at all.

But yeah a TL-1 just barely qualifies as a non hobby Machine, due to popularity, not quality. But good luck!!

R
    What you find objectionable about TL-1?

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    What you find objectionable about TL-1?

Tom
    Do you mean besides being garbage? Made out of recycled dog shit and soup cans? I don't know.

Or maybe you're asking a more philosophical question. Because Haas is a perfect example of why we shouldn't try to compete with them. We've compromised our quality as a selling point seems okay---right? Fuck Haas.