What's new
What's new

CNC Lathe FANUC O-T USB to RS232 file transfer

KMW FABRICATION

Plastic
Hey everyone I have a SMG TC-15 Lathe with a Fanuc O-T(C) controller. I'm looking for a File transfer device via usb to rs232. Trying to streamline our work practice and even though I know lathe programs are generally small, I like to cam everything from my office and then transfer the files to my machines. I also really didnt want to have a dedicated computer to DNC from to the controller. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't recommend USB to RS232.
Here are the reasons:
1 - unreliable. Only some work out.
2 - long Serial cables are a bad thing.
a - dropped characters
b - Lightning strikes - this is bad stuff. Happens all the time. Took out two Fanuc 10TFs in the 90s here.
c - welders nearby. -bad stuff.

---
You are far better off getting a Moxa rs232 to Ethernet server. They are 50$
I have 6 of them, and they have worked flawlessly for 5 years so far.

there are a few nPort expresses on ebay now for 20 bucks.
eBay - Page Not Found

I have to admit that the Moxa stuff avongil mentioned looks interesting and promising.

Still... I have also used a USB to RS232 device for around 15 years now without a single one of the problems mentioned. The only one I can recommend is the one by Keyspan. Tool around the internet and you'll see a million others saying the same thing about the Keyspan reliability. It is often referred to as a USB to Serial device. (Has a DB9 pin on the machine end) For around a year now I have also used an extended range USB cable without problem. Can't remember, but thinking it's 20-25 feet? It's up in the rafters with the fluorescent lights, low power extension cables and everything. Got it at Micro Center.

Tripp-Lite Keyspan model USA-19HS. Around $25.00

Please know I am not at all affiliated with this company.

Dave

Hey everyone I have a SMG TC-15 Lathe with a Fanuc O-T(C) controller. I'm looking for a File transfer device via usb to rs232. Trying to streamline our work practice and even though I know lathe programs are generally small, I like to cam everything from my office and then transfer the files to my machines. I also really didnt want to have a dedicated computer to DNC from to the controller. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I need help. I lost the parameters for a Wintec TC15 and can not find them. If you can share them or sell them please let me know

[email protected]

Thank you

jolulank

Titan DNC. Yup. It's easy.

Back