What's new
What's new

Cnc lathe part catcher too full

RoboMiller

Cast Iron
Looking for ideas and systems to keep parts from hitting each other once they come out of the parts catcher.
need some sort of conveyor or something to keep the hopper from filling and from parts hitting each other....

Mazak sqt15m. we run a part 2.5" long 1.5" dia carbon steel. cant have dings on Faces, OD, or threads and all it takes is 1 part in the hopper and 2nd part goes in and hits it, never mind an entire bar of parts, or much worse many bars of parts. trying to run unattended.

whats out there that you guys are using?

Thanks

Royal makes some nice part accumulators Royal Products

We had just a conveyor taking them out of the parts catcher to a ramp that would slide the parts into a large bucket of coolant. We would still see dings on heavy parts if the bucket got full and there was lack of water to slow down the fall.

If it is a high dollar part you can run the cutoff in to about .050 shy of parting off, pause the machine and auto open the door, break the part of by hand, close the door and press cycle start to finish the cutoff and make the next part.

I use a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I cut the outer edge off of the lid of the same bucket so I have a flat plastic disk that will fit all the way to the bottom of said bucket with about 1/4 inch of clearance all around. The disk should not wedge inside the bucket no matter what orientation it may be in. Now fill the bucket with coolant and your plastic disk should just barely float at the top, at least my variety of plastic floated, your results may vary. As my parts landed on my floating disk, it slowly sank and tilted and gently dropped my parts at the bottom of the bucket then the disk rises back to the top. Just don't fill the bucket too full of coolant because them parts displace the coolant and it may overflow. Don't ask me how I know.

I was in a shop running a simple little roller job un-attended, parts needed to be kept mar free.

The had a simple syntron linear shaker, moving a simple tray conveyor, with grass carpeting glued on
the surface.

There are a couple vendors for these small linear vibrators.

I use a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I cut the outer edge off of the lid of the same bucket so I have a flat plastic disk that will fit all the way to the bottom of said bucket with about 1/4 inch of clearance all around. The disk should not wedge inside the bucket no matter what orientation it may be in. Now fill the bucket with coolant and your plastic disk should just barely float at the top, at least my variety of plastic floated, your results may vary. As my parts landed on my floating disk, it slowly sank and tilted and gently dropped my parts at the bottom of the bucket then the disk rises back to the top. Just don't fill the bucket too full of coolant because them parts displace the coolant and it may overflow. Don't ask me how I know.

I have seen large wooden dowels used in same manner. Cut dowels and place in tub and parts the parts get cushioned by the floating wood before dropping below the fluid line into the coolant tub.

I have a belt type conveyor that I use as a "run-out" table for a parts conveyor that is already on one machine. The parts all push agginst each other, but at such slow speed that it's not been an issue so far.

On another machine - I made a chute out of 3" PVC (my chum likes to refer to it as "sewer pipe" just to keep it real....
Anyhow - a could of 45's in the stream and exiting down onto another conveyor (in my case - the chip conveyor) keeps the heavier/delicaterest parts from getting dinged from dropping, or flinging at cut-off.

---------------------

I am ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Back