What's new
What's new

CNC lathe pick: eeny, meeny, miny, mo.

ChipSplitter

Titanium
I'm doing some shopping for a new lathe. So far I've narrowed down the field to Okuma and Doosan, maaaaybe Mazak. The machine would have Y plus milling tools, no subspindle.

This is the Okuma: CNC lathe | GENOS lathe | horizontal lathe | GENOS L3000-e

GENOS L3000e-400 MY

Pros:

- Best warranty. 1 year parts & labor, 3 years parts, 5 years on control and drives.
- Excellent support from Gosiger.
- Better(?) control.

Cons:

- Most expensive.
- Made in Taiwan (?).

This is the Doosan: PUMA 2100/2600 Y-Axis | Horizontal… | Doosan Machine Tools America

Puma 2100Y

Pros:

- Less expensive.
- Fanuc control.

Cons:

- Support is probably (?) not as good.
- Less experience in the market than Okuma.

Help me spend money. :D Opinions please! :Ithankyou:

I'm doing some shopping for a new lathe. So far I've narrowed down the field to Okuma and Doosan, maaaaybe Mazak. The machine would have Y plus milling tools, no subspindle.

This is the Okuma: CNC lathe | GENOS lathe | horizontal lathe | GENOS L3000-e

GENOS L3000e-400 MY

Pros:

- Best warranty. 1 year parts & labor, 3 years parts, 5 years on control and drives.
- Excellent support from Gosiger.
- Better(?) control.

Cons:

- Most expensive.
- Made in Taiwan (?).

This is the Doosan: PUMA 2100/2600 Y-Axis | Horizontal… | Doosan Machine Tools America

Puma 2100Y

Pros:

- Less expensive.
- Fanuc control.

Cons:

- Support is probably (?) not as good.
- Less experience in the market than Okuma.

Help me spend money. :D Opinions please! :Ithankyou:

Previous shop I worked at on the West side bought a big Doosan lathe. No Y, but did do some live tool work with C. Machine was an absolute beast for material removal and Phoenix in Plymouth provided amazing support on the machine for years after the sale.

Our shop replaced our Mori Seki lathes with Doosan PUMAs a few years back. While obviously less stout they are still cranking parts out 8 years later and the operators seem plenty pleased with the parts and control interface.

no experience with okuma, though I have no doubt they would also have been a great choice. It was an availability thing at the time.

Coming from a HAAS SL the Okuma L2000MY is nice. Uses a lot of way oil. The softjaw GUI is very nice to have. Jaws are simple now. Door moving force is 18lbs.. Kinda hard on operators.

Curious if you checked out Takisawa? We install quite a few of the TS series machines here. TS-3000 YS is 8" chuck main spindle with 2.65" bar capacity. TS4000 YS is 10" main with 3.23" bar capacity. 10 hp milling. almost 5" of Y travel. Uses same turret tooling as Mori NL so lots of options. These have 6" sub spindle but price may be close to non-sub machine. The sub can be used as a programmable tailstock. It has 'Tailstock Mode' function that will apply programmable servo 'pressure'...

Coming from a HAAS SL the Okuma L2000MY is nice. Uses a lot of way oil. The softjaw GUI is very nice to have. Jaws are simple now. Door moving force is 18lbs.. Kinda hard on operators.

Can you turn the oiling frequency down? I hate way oil messes! :mad5:

Curious if you checked out Takisawa? We install quite a few of the TS series machines here. TS-3000 YS is 8" chuck main spindle with 2.65" bar capacity. TS4000 YS is 10" main with 3.23" bar capacity. 10 hp milling. almost 5" of Y travel. Uses same turret tooling as Mori NL so lots of options. These have 6" sub spindle but price may be close to non-sub machine. The sub can be used as a programmable tailstock. It has 'Tailstock Mode' function that will apply programmable servo 'pressure'...

What's your selling point over Okuma and Doosan? Control type? Support?

TIA. ;)

What's your selling point over Okuma and Doosan? Control type? Support?

TIA. ;)

Okuma makes nice machines. it seems a lot of shops can't get past the control though. Takisawa TS has Fanuc 32i. The TS machines are box way beasts. Doosan is popular, I can only tell you about a client out here that was a big Ellison customer. Aerospace primarily, tough materials and tight tolerances. They really liked the spec of the TS but didn't want to rock the boat at Ellison so they ordered a Doosan and a TS at the same time. The TS was installed and making great parts within a week. 2 months later, Ellison had to pull out their machine and the client ordered a second Takisawa. Yamazen supports the Takisawa from the Novi tech center in Michigan.

**** 2 months later, Ellison had to pull out their machine ****

I had two Doosan machines pulled from my shop do to Ellison ,The Doosan machines were ok but the support from Ellison was just not there, my vote would be for Okuma but its only based on that I don`t like Fanuc ,

Fortunately Ellison isn't the Doosan distributor in Michigan. :ill:

Dodgin, you mentioned Phoenix. Did Dynamic buy them out or what happened there?

Hmmm...I'm unsure what happened there, if anything. I haven't spoken to anyone at Phoenix in almost two years. Lemme give my contact a call and see what's up.

Edit: Just scoped out LinkedIn. The applications guy I would often speak to is with Dynamic. I'm guessing you're right.

We have a bunch of Okuma lathes here, two L3000s. I would definitely say the control is better. Even without having Collision Avoidance Software (CAS), you can still get a 3D representation of your cuts and watch the part run while in machine lock. You can run this in transparency to see the inside or in a section view and change the viewing angle. I use this all of the time and it's great for showing new people or testing out program changes so they can see what the change does without running a part.

as far as the Taiwan build part, I can't tell you there's any quality concerns vs our Japanese built Okumas on the lathe or milling side. I have not run a Doosan lathe, but we have lathes with the Fanuc control and my preference is the OSP by a long shot. One thing you can't do is stop a program on the 3rd tool, edit the program for the 4th, then continue running with the edits. You would have to reset and then jump which in reality takes about 5 extra seconds, but you do have to do it.

We have had Doosan for 10+ years, very good machines, very few service calls, but we are strict on PM.
Progressive Tool @ MFG. INC. Greensboro, NC

VERY nice shop. You obviously take pride in keeping your machines well maintained. :cheers:

<snip> One thing you can't do is stop a program on the 3rd tool, edit the program for the 4th, then continue running with the edits. You would have to reset and then jump which in reality takes about 5 extra seconds, but you do have to do it.

Is that the OSP or Fanuc?

VERY nice shop. You obviously take pride in keeping your machines well maintained. :cheers:

Is that the OSP or Fanuc?

The FANUC (at least some of them, can't speak for all) DOES allow you to do that. The OSP you have to restart the program.

Here's the correspondence I got from the former Phoenix applications guy:

"Phoenix’s contract was terminated by Doosan. Dynamic Machine of Detroit was awarded the line in Michigan and they hired me shortly afterwards."

I can't really speak to the overall quality of service out of Dynamic, but this applications guy when he worked for Phoenix was great for support even after the sale.

Have you taken a gander at Hyundai? I had several SKT-21-LMS and they were suit machines once I threw the manuals out.

Looks like you're comparing something in the L2000Y series.

Box way and still able to rapid at 1200IPM.
30 HP with 265 FP torque.
Standard BMT-65P Turret
5000 RPM Main/5000 Live
Almost 5" Y travel
12K pounds (Nearly 3000# more than the Okuma)

A box way machine heavier than the Okuma and Cheaper than the Doosan. Just have to check service in your area.

https://machine.hyundai-wia.com/usa/product/product_detail.asp?PRODUCT_SEQ=33245&PRODUCT_CODE=A05009

Have you taken a gander at Hyundai? I had several SKT-21-LMS and they were suit machines once I threw the manuals out.

Looks like you're comparing something in the L2000Y series.

Box way and still able to rapid at 1200IPM.
30 HP with 265 FP torque.
Standard BMT-65P Turret
5000 RPM Main/5000 Live
Almost 5" Y travel
12K pounds (Nearly 3000# more than the Okuma)

A box way machine heavier than the Okuma and Cheaper than the Doosan. Just have to check service in your area.

https://machine.hyundai-wia.com/usa/product/product_detail.asp?PRODUCT_SEQ=33245&PRODUCT_CODE=A05009

The Okuma is at 11K vs. 12K.

My biggest qualm with Hyundia is the support. The distributor is fairly new to the line although they have experience as a third-party repair company.

When I start digging around for stateside experience and feedback I hear a lot of crickets. :toetap: That concerns me a bit.

My biggest qualm with Hyundia is the support. The distributor is fairly new to the line although they have experience as a third-party repair company.

That was my problem in Sanford Fl, They were great at sales but crap for repair and questions. Repairs are pretty simple, basic Fanuc 21 system so thats easy. They used some odd codes like G88 for rigid tap and along with M29 to prep it. Aside from that I loved the machines.

Hows bouts ones of dem swissmac thingies? Word on the street is gcoder is going to be a distributor :stirthepot:

Hey now!! Before Fastenal bought my families industrial supply out I'd sell anything from tampons to tootsie rolls. I guess if GD gets his act together I could slide one of those things into some wealthy hobbyists garage....

Back