What's new
What's new

Cnc lathe, rotary converter isolation transformer?

Dukerc51

Aluminum
I recently bought a 10 hp cnc lathe, Fanuc o-t control. I’m trying to decide on a converter and maybe an isolation transformer. I’m thinking a 20hp adx from American Rotary. I want to put voltage around 208. My line voltage is 240. Is a drive isolation transformer worth the extra money? Thanks

Lathes suck the pixies pretty good. If this is all new to you look real hard at your transformer size, service wire size and any other restriction you might have. Plan for 100 amps steady for a few minutes and peak loads much higher. That lathe can probably trip a 100 amp single phase breaker.

I would look at a 30HP RPC, Whatever brand, doesn't matter it's just a motor spinning. A Delta-WYE 240-208 transformer will be great.

I’ve run mills off phase converter but no lathes yet. I’m looking at American rotary stuff but don’t know if the ad or adx really amount to anything. I was looking at drive isolation transformers but one vendor told me a drive isolation transformer is simply an oversized transformer? As of now I’m looking at a 30kva transformer where my lathe needs 18kva. The previous owner was running two of these lathes off a 25 hp plane Jane America rotary.

That Fanuc won't care about 240V.

Everything in my shop is 240 and (big) RPC.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That Fanuc won't care about 240V.
Everything in my shop is 240 and (big) RPC.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Good to know I might try without a transformer and spend the money on some toolholders lol.

Back