Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CNC Lathe Selection

I'm looking at setting up two large volume production turning centers to turn aluminum parts and have been working with Nakamura (WY-150), More Seiki (NZX1000), Mazak (HQR-150), and Citizen Miyano (BNE51-MSY).

Any thoughts on these machines?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are you asking? Opinions are like assholes, and we have enough of those here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Opinions are like assholes, and we have enough of those here.
    Hey, now. I resemble that remark!!

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fair statement. I'm just looking for any feedback I can get about the equipment. Is this one better than that one and why... did anyone have good support or bad support, machine quality, etc. Seeking advice from people with experience.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You forgot okuma.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by advinttech View Post
    Fair statement. I'm just looking for any feedback I can get about the equipment. Is this one better than that one and why... did anyone have good support or bad support, machine quality, etc. Seeking advice from people with experience.
    I understand. The problem with the question is that it's not only too far reaching, but it's very generic.

IE. I think Okuma is hands down the best MTBer in the world, without even hesitating. And in general they might be. BUT that's in general, Okuma doesn't really try to compete with Citizen, Datron or Matsuura. Neither Sodick nor Miller. Plus Okuma went through an Iron cast in Taiwan phase, and some Chinese electrical issues in the late '80's. So NOT the best. Every MTB has similar stories. So it's like asking whether Florida Oranges are better than California Oranges.

R

8. Likes cameraman, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What machines do you currently have? Are you happy with your current machines and your dealers' service?

10. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are setting up a new facility. Some of the future employees have good experience with the Naks, but the distributor is not responsive. The Miyano distributor is amazing, but we haven't heard from anyone with experience. So that's really why we are asking for feedback.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm looking at setting up two large volume production turning centers to turn aluminum parts and have been working with Nakamura (WY-150), More Seiki (NZX1000), Mazak (HQR-150), and Citizen Miyano (BNE51-MSY).

Any thoughts on these machines?
    Well, Mori dumped Ellison for sales and support and decided to try it themselves. It's my favorite MTB aside from Toshiba but I wouldn't buy one now half price until they get the support network fixed.

Mazak, Well, It's usually a good piece of iron except as soon as they get e tech trained with a bit of experience they quit and go freelance. So back to support again.

Nak is sold and serviced by Methods and they have a decent name so it would be a consideration. Nak has damn good iron, good engineering, and good manufacturing.

Citizen, I don't know enough about Millennium to make a recommendation.

You left out too much information to get any good advice here and you're listing slant bed lathes and Swiss lathes yet just say large volume aluminum turning.
    Are the parts over 1.5" diam? That would rule out the citizen.
    Do you already have a specific order for large volume runs or just hoping/expecting?
    If so, do you need twin spindles and twin turrets?
    What's your budget and what kind or ROI are you expecting?
    So many more MTB's out there to be looking at but you need to be specific about what you want your equipment to do.
    And I would rethink the whole "This is what our future employees know how to use". Sorry but not going to let that dictate my purchasing strategy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What he said.

Plus "large production" has VERY different meanings to different people. Are we talking a Million parts a Month, ten Thousand a week or 10 a day?

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great feedback. Thank you.

So everything listed is a twin turret, twin spindle slant bed, including the citizen miyano.

The parts range from 1" to 2" and we are talking about a specific part series running 200,000 pieces annually requiring 2 - 3 machines.

Your comment on Mazak is interesting. I know Mazatrol is a bit different, so are you suggesting that is harder to find quality employees for?

Thanks again for the info.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your comment on Mazak is interesting. I know Mazatrol is a bit different, so are you suggesting that is harder to find quality employees for?
    Its not so much your employees it's Mazak themselves. For some reason their tech turnaround is horrific. It's a shame when you can go on craigslist and find a Mazak tech faster than Mazak can get one to you.

Interesting to know the Cit is a slant bed and can go 2". had to go look that up, 51 MM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the NZX was/is a 3 Turret Machine....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, that one actually is. The others are twins

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Its not so much your employees it's Mazak themselves. For some reason their tech turnaround is horrific. It's a shame when you can go on craigslist and find a Mazak tech faster than Mazak can get one to you.

Interesting to know the Cit is a slant bed and can go 2". had to go look that up, 51 MM
    The bne has a cool superposition feature as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For that sort of big investment you need a good study on it, time, ROI, service. And trying to cut out which sales guy BS'ed the best...

That said.
    Nakamura (and perhaps Miyano) probably are still more specialized/reliable than most in that high production turning. They seem to be the Matsuura/Makino of lathes...

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me it would be between Nak and Miyano.
    And I'd be leaning Miyano...

21. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are setting up a new facility. Some of the future employees have good experience with the Naks, but the distributor is not responsive. The Miyano distributor is amazing, but we haven't heard from anyone with experience. So that's really why we are asking for feedback.
    Frank at Maritool speaks highly of Miyanos.

Also consider a mill-turn if the machine suits the parts. We're very happy with our Mori NLX, but we have a number of parts that utilize all 12 stations of the turret, and tool life is a bottleneck. We can't run more than 24 hours without stopping the machine to change tools. A 2/3 turret machine would help, but the best option for us would be an NTX with 72-tool ATC + 12 station lower turret. Such a machine would run unattended for a week.