What's new
What's new

CNC lathe weights?

jdj

Diamond
I would be interested to know what some of your CNC lathes weigh. Especially in the 20" swing range. I work on some old Leblond/Makino Knight lathes (flat bed style) that weigh about 9500 LBS. I was wondering if that was light, heavy or what.

Jeff

9500 lbs. sounds a little light to me even if its a manual machine for a true 20" machine. My DMG CTX 410 weighs in at 12,300 lbs. including the chip conveyor. The specs on my machine says it has a 19.9 inch max. swing, not that I would want to turn anything that dia. on it (14.8 swing above cross-guideway), by 25 inch Z travel.

GM

My 310ctx Ecoline (DMG) has an almost 8" chuck, will swing about 14", and 20" long. Weighs about 8500# including the conveyer. (So OP's 20x manual lathes are not much heavier than my 14x CNC....)

A 510ctx is listed as 26" x 40" or so (680mm x 1050mm) and weighs 8100KG or well past 17,000#.

Not sure the 20" designation?

My Hardinge T51 is a 2" bar capacity and weighs in at 15K# with the toys. (not incl barfeeder :rolleyes5: )

Well - it's gott'a be called less than that as the turret home position is at X15." to the turret face, so max turn would be about 12"?

10K# seems awfully light to me!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I forgot to mention that the turning length is about 30 inches.
Thanks for the responses. I thought it was on the light side.

Jeff

My cincinnati 18C weighs in at 42K then another 12K for the bar feed (6" diameter 144" length).

Wow. Nice machine! Did you buy that particular one or is that just a representative photo of one? I'd like to see a photo of a bar feeder capable of running 6" diameter. I've never even heard of one that big.

My Mazak QT20N ('85 model), with 20" x 40" capacity (although the 20" swing may be optimistic), weighs in at 12,500 lbs.

The Mazak QT15's (both '88 models), with 10" x 20" capacity, weigh in at 9,400 lbs.

The Mazak QT10N's (both '85 models), with 10" x 20" capacity, weigh in at 8,000 lbs.

Wow. Nice machine! Did you buy that particular one or is that just a representative photo of one? I'd like to see a photo of a bar feeder capable of running 6" diameter. I've never even heard of one that big.

The one I picked up was from the ABB Combustion/Alstom Power auction in Chattanooga TN a few years back. I thought I was getting a good deal for 2 grand that included rigging. Once the machine was deliverd I found that if you hit the power off then you have to reload all five of the exec tapes and parameters. acramatic 900 control is not one of my faves.

I have to admitt though. cincinnati put a recess above the chuck for clearance with ID tools while the OD tools can turn all the way to the chuck.

So far the machine has yet to make one part But it does make a good conversation piece. Ill post some picks soon.

WHAT? :eek:

No - that's NOT how those opperate! :rolleyes5:

The 900 is a VERY good and solid control!

If your losing your params @ power down - then your batts or charger are shot. (Likely the batts)

There should be 4 - 2V (?) battts that look like 6" tall D-cell batts. They are likely mounted to the door panel and are hooked up to a batt charger at all times. For a number of yrs these batts were supposedly unavailable, but I got some new ones about 6-8 yrs ago finally. (machine scrapped and control sold by now)

Even with new batts they won't be able to hold the params but for only a matter of hrs. The older the electronics - the less time. Don't be surprised if it will only hold mem for 6 hrs - even with new batts!

On my machine I had 2 power supplie cables to it. One set was the 3 ph - and since it was on it's own RPC it was only live when the machine was to run, so I fed another 240 single ph line in to power the batt charger only. This was fine for enything other than a power outtage of more than a few hrs.

The REAL fix for this is a reasonably large UPS (uninterupted power supply) to feed the batt charger. (I think the batt charger is actually 120V and the 240V line is X'd on down to 120 in the cabinet?)

If you are loading tapes regularly - you may actually LIKE this machine with jist a little maintanence.
Bounce.gif

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The REAL fix for this is a reasonably large UPS (uninterupted power supply) to feed the batt charger. (I think the batt charger is actually 120V and the 240V line is X'd on down to 120 in the cabinet?)
Ox

That's what I did with mine, works great and no more dinking with the 2V batteries. There is a pair of yellow wires in the control cabinet that you cut into to supply the 120V, the only yellow wires in the cabinet which makes them easy to find. They come from a small(ish) 120V transformer hanging somewhere on the machine. If you are powering down at the power supply breaker, that shuts off that 120V transformer, which shuts off the battery charger, etc. Normal operation is to shut off the power at the machine, and there is a wire that bypasses that switch to feed the 120V transformer, which supplies the battery charger etc. You can hear the transformer hum with the power off, that annoys some people so they shut off the main breaker. Cutting into the yellow wires allows you to shut off the main breaker safely.

PS - I load my exec tapes through a BTR which makes it much less of a PITA. I have an extra BTR for a 900 to sell if you need one.

and the pic is an 18U, for universal, not an 18C, for chucker. Basically the same machine but the u's were longer and generally had heavier tailstocks. The one in the photo has the heavy duty tailstock. I know I can only have my tailstock pressure about 80 psi or I destroy 3MT live centers.... had to adapt it to morse from 40 milling machine taper. I think max thrust on my tailstock is about 3500 lbs. Max Z thrust something like 7000... and its a 12 instead of an 18. They are a PITA to put a z ballscrew in though, have to lift the saddle to remove it in the early models.

Good catch, but he saids that he had a C and a barfeed. Must have had a diff actuator installed along the way?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, it is the batteries. but there is 4 three volt batts and cincinnati whants $700 for the set. these things are larger than the old six volts that whent in mining flash lights. Now, this brings me to the next problem. my power is 230 volt Delta (2) 110 legs and (1) 220 leg. the machine needs 440 Y and I decided to try a step down transformer wired in reverse. this worked a few times long enough to put the execs in and run an M3 from MDI. this usualy through the breaker. Now it seems I my have burned a board some where. I just dont see spending the money right now to get it running right until the economy picks up.

as Wille said the tail on the c series is not real rigid but is is neat how it magicly pops up when you need it. Just wish i got to try it. the whole body makes up the live center and the bolt in centers appear to be on a 40 MNTB taper.

At cincinnatis boothe in 06 at IMTS they had an 18U that they remanufactured with an A-2100 control, nice lighting and paint. beutiful machine and had a huge shaft that they where actualy making chips on.:drool5:

Back