What's new
What's new

Cnc lathe x axis servo belt replacement

Dukerc51

Aluminum
I have a small ycm cnc lathe. I have to change the belt. It has a nut on the end of the e brake? Assembly. This has a set screw on the nut. I’m assuming I remove both of these? Anything hard about doing this? Just wanna be prepared to do it because I need the machine. Thanks in advance

servo belt.jpg

Last edited:
I would start by unbolting the lower motor mounting bolts and with the motor loose, slip the belt off the motor sprocket. Hopefully the belt is large enough to slide over the brake housing without disturbing that end of things. One caution- try not to disturb the shaft positions- motor or ball screw because you will shift the home position in doing so and then you will have to grid shift the x axis settings to get things back where they belong. What control?

One caution- try not to disturb the shaft positions- motor or ball screw because you will shift the home position in doing so and then you will have to grid shift the x axis settings to get things back where they belong.

Draw a witness line across the two pulleys with a Sharpie or similar. Take a number of pictures before any disassembly so you can be sure what the original relationships (of all the parts ) was/were.

Thanks guys,
It's a fanuc om control. I was gonna block the turret. It doesn't look like the belt can physically come off without removing the brake

So I got the belt changed. Now I have a harmonic noise coming from the x axis when it's just sitting. I don't think my brake was working before and now It seems to be.

Back