What's new
What's new

CNC Machine for Jewelry Making?

cadefoster84

Plastic
Hi All,
I make jewelry and have been thinking about getting a Desktop CNC machine to help me with the production of mostly simple 2d shapes such as circles, stars etc. Basically what I would like to do is put in a piece of metal sheet (aluminum or brass mostly) roughly the size of the work area and cut out as many shapes as I can from the metal sheet. I understand the basics of cnc milling but I am new to this so I thought I would ask here if what I'm hoping to achieve sounds like something that is doable. Thanks in advance!

Do you know how to draw on the computer ?

Do you have a certain machine & control in mind ?

People here will bad mouth them but for what you want the ballscrew version of a Sherline CNC mill could be all you need. Get the tool holders for tools instead of using collets because they repeat on tool length. A copy of CamBam gives you enough programming capabilty for jewelry. Rhino to model the the parts would be a good fit too. About $5K total.

A step up from that is a Tormach 440, and you are looking at about $10K.

This group considers these hobby machines and you won’t be encouraged to post here. However over on the CamBam forum we talk about hobby machines all the time and you would be welcome there even just to talk about what to buy. One guy makes very nice watches!

Do you know how to draw on the computer ?

Do you have a certain machine & control in mind ?

My pc drawing skills are ok. I've been messing around with a couple of programs creating basic vector graphics and i'm able to get pretty close to what I have in mind. I've been doing a lot of research into cnc milling machines and the 2 I keep going back to are the Nomad from Carbide3d and the milling machine from Bantam Tools. Both have relatively small work areas but I'm ok with that since this will be going in my workshop with limited space. I believe both come with their own software as well.

People here will bad mouth them but for what you want the ballscrew version of a Sherline CNC mill could be all you need. Get the tool holders for tools instead of using collets because they repeat on tool length. A copy of CamBam gives you enough programming capabilty for jewelry. Rhino to model the the parts would be a good fit too. About $5K total.

A step up from that is a Tormach 440, and you are looking at about $10K.

This group considers these hobby machines and you won’t be encouraged to post here. However over on the CamBam forum we talk about hobby machines all the time and you would be welcome there even just to talk about what to buy. One guy makes very nice watches!

Thanks so much for the cambam forum tip, I'll head on over there and check it out. I was looking at the sherline machines and they look good. The only thing is I was hoping to get a unit that is enclosed to help keep the mess to a minimum.

Well, I am sorry that part of the authors of the posts in this thread have kind of “paternal” attitude to CNC jewelry machining.
Almost 30 years ago, in early 90th, when Israel was still one of the world’s centers of diamond industry, I was involved in implementation of CNC milling machines in jewelry production, mainly in invisible diamond setting technique. In this technique, contrary to others, what you see looking from the top on a jewel is a collection of small diamonds placed flush against each other, creating a flat surface. Because the stones are set so close together and on the same level, the stones appear like a single large diamond. What holds the stone in place is a hidden metal construction that is set beneath the diamonds. This construction is attached to the diamonds to ensure that they don’t fall out of place. This is done by cutting tiny grooves into the diamond’s girlde and then fixing the diamonds onto the metal frame. This setting is very secure, but this depends on the quality of the workmanship. If the metal frame or the grooves in the diamond are not fit to perfection, there is a high chance of the diamonds becoming loose and even falling out of the setting. This is a problem which can be very difficult to rectify. If the shape of the diamond is square or rectangular, the requirements of the accuracy of metal construction cavity could be easy achieved by hand craftsmanship. But demands for the shape of the finished jewel became more and more challenging, and as result the shapes of individual diamonds too. Manual cutting of the cavities matching the shapes of diamonds became extremely difficult. As the geometry of the diamonds was known, the use of CNC machine became just natural. Have in mind that the metal construction material is either gold or platinum. The “Diamond Egg” (diamond replica to famous enamel Faberge eggs) and diamond Mont Blanc fountain pen were the first 2 projects. I supplied the customers with 4 axes Impact Mini Mill CNC machine from Servo Products Company, which performed excellent. Almost 20 machines have been sold after that for similar tasks. This was very small, bench type, real production machine, with grounded ballscrews and ways, very high speed spindle and endless program size on PC based control. At that time the cost was almost 30k$, certainly not a Sherline toy.
So both, the technology and the demands matching machine, should be appreciated. It is very serious, multibillion dollar business, and do not forget: women oriented. And at the end they rule the world …

Well, I am sorry that part of the authors of the posts in this thread have kind of “paternal” attitude to CNC jewelry machining.
Almost 30 years ago, in early 90th, when Israel was still one of the world’s centers of diamond industry, I was involved in implementation of CNC milling machines in jewelry production, mainly in invisible diamond setting technique. In this technique, contrary to others, what you see looking from the top on a jewel is a collection of small diamonds placed flush against each other, creating a flat surface. Because the stones are set so close together and on the same level, the stones appear like a single large diamond. What holds the stone in place is a hidden metal construction that is set beneath the diamonds. This construction is attached to the diamonds to ensure that they don’t fall out of place. This is done by cutting tiny grooves into the diamond’s girlde and then fixing the diamonds onto the metal frame. This setting is very secure, but this depends on the quality of the workmanship. If the metal frame or the grooves in the diamond are not fit to perfection, there is a high chance of the diamonds becoming loose and even falling out of the setting. This is a problem which can be very difficult to rectify. If the shape of the diamond is square or rectangular, the requirements of the accuracy of metal construction cavity could be easy achieved by hand craftsmanship. But demands for the shape of the finished jewel became more and more challenging, and as result the shapes of individual diamonds too. Manual cutting of the cavities matching the shapes of diamonds became extremely difficult. As the geometry of the diamonds was known, the use of CNC machine became just natural. Have in mind that the metal construction material is either gold or platinum. The “Diamond Egg” (diamond replica to famous enamel Faberge eggs) and diamond Mont Blanc fountain pen were the first 2 projects. I supplied the customers with 4 axes Impact Mini Mill CNC machine from Servo Products Company, which performed excellent. Almost 20 machines have been sold after that for similar tasks. This was very small, bench type, real production machine, with grounded ballscrews and ways, very high speed spindle and endless program size on PC based control. At that time the cost was almost 30k$, certainly not a Sherline toy.
So both, the technology and the demands matching machine, should be appreciated. It is very serious, multibillion dollar business, and do not forget: women oriented. And at the end they rule the world …

It's more like because of the rules posted up top, about "homeshop machines".

Stop all the butt-hurt-itis.

Simply follow the rules. Easy Peasy

Are there and "desk tops" that would be considered professional?

Datron comes to mind... Not what most of us would run, given a choice, but I think the price and accuracy bring them into the professional realm, even if they can only cut softer stuff.

Datron comes to mind... Not what most of us would run, given a choice, but I think the price and accuracy bring them into the professional realm, even if they can only cut softer stuff.

IIRC, the guy I used to work with is running one of them now at his new job. Think he said the price was around 400k??!! Even if he added an extra zero, 40k even makes it more or less out of reach for hobbyists.

Back