What's new
What's new

Hass slowing down my computer

SiggiS

Plastic
We have 5 HASS machines and when we are connected to the machine they slow down our computers. Call the IT guy to come in and he told me this.

The synopsis of the conversation is that the 3 devices that are experiencing slow issues are the ones that are “classic” machines. Meaning they are legacy and essentially no longer supported. So they won’t release any updates to fix them etc. SMB 1.0 is the only way to connect to the devices. SMB 1.0 is a very old protocol for connection to a file share. Currently SMB 2 and SMB 3 exist. and Microsoft stopped supporting SMB 1 and disabled it from Windows back in April(when the problem started).
Version 2.0 is on all of their newer machines. But the older machines are classified as legacy and only support SMB 1.0 and that update isn’t available.
Question has anyone figure out a fix for this beside buying new machines. We have 2016 Lathe ST 30 2 VF 2 2015 a VF 8 2012 VF 3 2012.

What do you mean by "slowing down" your computers?
If the network is bogged down, then put the Haas-s on their own subnet and separate them from the rest of the network.
If you mean that your computers are actually slowing down, I don't see why would that be unless you are drip feeding.

I'm not sure why that would slow anything down. SMB1.0 is disabled by default on windows 10, and afaik it has been disabled by default a longer than since april. It's disabled for security reasons, not for performance reasons. I have it turned on to be able to connect to two Hurcos that I have here, it doesn't cause any slow downs.

You (or the IT admins) can re-enable SMB 1 in Windows 10. Run optionalfeatures; go to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support; expand it and select the client and server options.

You could use a dedicated machine as a server with SMB 1 enabled, export and import files from a share on it to and from the machines and to and from your desktops/laptops.

That's what I set up at work. That situation was more complicated, because I had most of the Sinumeric controllers behind dedicated firewalls so they could only see the file servers and vice versa. The reason was that they ran NT4 under the hood and the people in power ran automated scans to detect any such and demand that they be isolated from the network so they couldn't become virus hosts. My workaround was agreed to satisfy the security requirements and kept the (French) IT security folk from the risk of apoplexy.

Mark:- Ex IT drone.

We have 5 HASS machines and when we are connected to the machine they slow down our computers. Call the IT guy to come in and he told me this.

The synopsis of the conversation is that the 3 devices that are experiencing slow issues are the ones that are “classic” machines. Meaning they are legacy and essentially no longer supported. So they won’t release any updates to fix them etc. SMB 1.0 is the only way to connect to the devices. SMB 1.0 is a very old protocol for connection to a file share. Currently SMB 2 and SMB 3 exist. and Microsoft stopped supporting SMB 1 and disabled it from Windows back in April(when the problem started).
Version 2.0 is on all of their newer machines. But the older machines are classified as legacy and only support SMB 1.0 and that update isn’t available.
Question has anyone figure out a fix for this beside buying new machines. We have 2016 Lathe ST 30 2 VF 2 2015 a VF 8 2012 VF 3 2012.

I had the same issue when Windows updated from 1909 to 2004. That and a Mazak share hung repeatedly. It hangs trying to enumerate the shares. You must enable SMB1.0 and you must do a registry fix. Without the registry change the problem will still happen intermittently. I'm on 21H1 now with no problems. Well, other than the hole left open by SMB1.

My shop computer cannot connect to the internet or any other computers, anything new it gets I take to it on a thumbdrive, never any updates, all it does is talk to my machine tools and Mastercam, I get 1 computer to every 6-8 Wonderwoman gets as hers gets every update that comes along and is an IT nightmare, it always has some issue the most common being it forgets how to run the printer.

Back