What's new
What's new

Which CNC Mill

Onsitegroupinc1

Plastic
I making transition in to CNC machinig from manual. What used machine (ebay) would be recommend with the programming new enough no to cause any issue moving forward? I have had some but little Gcode experience, most of my equip converts from my cad programs for me. Thanks

My advice is to get something with a Fanuc controller, or "Fanuc style" as the programming and coding will be MUCH easier.
When buying used CNCs,:
1)See it run! If not running and not under power, beware. It could be a brain dead boat anchor that will be a real PROJECT to get running again.
2)Make sure manufacturer still supports with parts and tech. Many Taiwan builders go under, only to re-surface and when they do, the previous machines no longer
have any tech support.
3)Make sure it has manuals/schematics/parts/ladder books. There is an EXTENSIVE amount of literature that comes with a CNC and much of it gets LOST over the years. Without it, you could literally spend as much on the books (if even still available) as you did on the machine.
4)Avoid orphan machines/controls. Stuff that isn't made anymore. It could be a NIGHTMARE for parts.

What travels are you looking for? Sprindle RPM requiremnts? What materials do you usually run?

My advice is to get something with a Fanuc controller, or "Fanuc style" as the programming and coding will be MUCH easier.
When buying used CNCs,:
1)See it run! If not running and not under power, beware. It could be a brain dead boat anchor that will be a real PROJECT to get running again.
2)Make sure manufacturer still supports with parts and tech. Many Taiwan builders go under, only to re-surface and when they do, the previous machines no longer
have any tech support.
3)Make sure it has manuals/schematics/parts/ladder books. There is an EXTENSIVE amount of literature that comes with a CNC and much of it gets LOST over the years. Without it, you could literally spend as much on the books (if even still available) as you did on the machine.
4)Avoid orphan machines/controls. Stuff that isn't made anymore. It could be a NIGHTMARE for parts.

Than you, this was the information I was looking for.

What travels are you looking for? Sprindle RPM requiremnts? What materials do you usually run?

Travel around 40" x 20", 316l stainless is a majority portion of the work. As far as spindle RPM's, I guess the largest spread I can. The Speeds will be faster than I'm used to with the Manual. Thanks

Easier than what exactly?? When you're talking about ease of use Fanuc are RIGHT at the bottom of that list.

Everything else you wrote is good advice tho...

The "easier" parts comes when trying to get stuff to work. Many folk know Fanuc G code and cycles, and everyone else's controller, including by beloved Okuma OSP, falls in somewhere behind.

When training a newbie or someone working from home, generic Fanuc is much easier. Also, when it comes to post processing.

The "easier" parts comes when trying to get stuff to work. Many folk know Fanuc G code and cycles, and everyone else's controller, including by beloved Okuma OSP, falls in somewhere behind.

When training a newbie or someone working from home, generic Fanuc is much easier. Also, when it comes to post processing.

I can see that argument if they were maybe hand programming at a cnc lathe, but a cnc mill is typically programmed with cad/cam. Hand coding for a mill isn't efficient at all unless all they're wanting is drilled/tapped holes.

It's hard to find something easier to use than a Haas. Fanuc is far more difficult (going through several layers of softkeys just to load a program...). Get something newer than 2008, with probing.

Fannik is how they say it, so it's how I say it.

That said, FANUC is an acronym: F*ing American No Understand Control

I can see that argument if they were maybe hand programming at a cnc lathe, but a cnc mill is typically programmed with cad/cam. Hand coding for a mill isn't efficient at all unless all they're wanting is drilled/tapped holes.

A lot of mill work is simple facing, slotting and drilling, so hand programming is frequently done.
You mentioned CAD/CAM, and you're right - a generic Fanuc post is much easier than many other controllers.

Back