What's new
What's new

CNC Mill in a Corner?

hititfaster

Plastic
I'm in the process of acquiring a Hurco VM ONE - my first 'proper' CNC machine. I don't have a huge workshop, so I want to use what space I do have efficiently. I've tried lots of layouts in CAD and the best seems to be tight to the left side and back walls, but this blocks access to the electrical cabinet on the back right of the machine. So my question is, am I mad for considering installing it in the corner and moving it forward if I need access to the cabinet?

As you can imagine, there are a number of considerations driving this... Workshop door position, a window, other kit in the workshop etc.

I think you should reconsider.
can you not put it in the opposite corner so you can maintain access to the electricals?
hate to blow a fuse and it turn into a 4 hour project

Consider putting something movable in that space, like a cabinet on wheels
Or rotating it 90 degrees in the same corner so the door is accessible

I have a Mazak VTC30 (30x65x29 travel) about 8" from wall on the left. Lube and air stuff on back right and just enough space to access it by reaching in. Access to the back of the machine is through a 36" door in the wall behind the machine. There is just enough room to the right of the machine to change the ballscrew (yeah, bad lube meter).

I've done it. but in our case, we left just enough room to squeeze in and made the door easy to remove (so you didn't have to swing it).

when I had to do repairs I hated past me for putting the mill there!

am I mad for considering installing it in the corner and moving it forward if I need access to the cabinet?

Yes.

#1 it weighs 6,200 lbs
#2 you would have to re-level it when you move it.
#3 you would have to also move the coolant tank and conveyor when you move it

Yes.

#1 it weighs 6,200 lbs
#2 you would have to re-level it when you move it.
#3 you would have to also move the coolant tank and conveyor when you move it

Ha! I appreciate your frank and honest answer - it made me chuckle.

#2 is what I was most concerned about actually, given I have zero experience of living with bigger, more accurate CNC kit. I figure with a big enough lever (or an inclined plane...) #1 could be sorted and the coolant tray is on wheels already.

You will absolutely hate yourself for not making things accessible. I run a mill that is in a corner, but with ample room to open the doors. I loath moving the giant L shaped coolant tanks every year to clean them out. I also hate loading larger parts with the fork truck because proper planning wasn't taken when the machine was place, IMHO of course. I was only 8 when this machine was parked, so I didn't have a say but the 33 YO me is not happy. lol
Remember the KISS method works for a lot of decision making.

I do not. I'm coming from a £3k CNC router, so I think there's a lot I don't currently have but will need!

That level is kind of expensive ($250),but it's worth it. Also read up on how to properly position the level during the process.
There are other levels ,but I wouldn't skimp too much.

Don't put the machine in a corner!

I re-levelled my Hurcos this past year and just to gain access to level the machine, youll want a solid few feet of space around the machine. Obviously you can move things like tool chests out of the way when needed. But you can't move a wall.

Definitely want 3+ feet all around the machine.

I've bought VM10 which is a previous model in 2018. I would never restrict access to electrical cabinet on this machine. I had to access it quickly multiple times.

1. I ran 3d surfacing job at 9.5k rpm for 6+ hours. Machine got stuck on tool change straight after that.( taper lock)
Had to reset relay in the cabinet.(if i could turn back time I would get spindle chiller instead of upgrading conversational options which I never use)
2. If you make a bobo with too heavy cut, crash rotating tools into parts etc. spindle tends to skip a tooth on drive belt.
That means drive keys on the spindle don't align with tool changer arm and ATC drops tools during tool change.( ALWAYS check this after you fck something up) You then need to access Yaskawa spindle drive in electrical cabinet and change offset so "spindle orient" aligns with tool changer arm. Ask technician during commisioning on how to do it and write it down step by step. If you are out of warranty period they wont tell you how to do it over the phone.

I don't know what sort of work you are doing, but after moving the machine I would re-level it, calibrate both renishaw probes and set my work offsets once again, just to be sure. Quite a lot of unnecessary work.

I put my Fadal in basically the middle of my garage. Think of it this way. You have easy access to all the doors and panels. You can easily put other, smaller equipment on wheels or not, and they will be way easier to move out of the way if need be. You will have more access to wall space without the mill sucking up a giant portion of it. The square footage it requires doesn't really change depending on where you put it, but the usable space will be basically all the way up to touching the mill if it's more in the middle of your space. And trust me, it's way easier to service, remove chips, change coolant, clean, etc when you have access to all sides.

3 feet is a good solid minimum.

I have gone from 1200 to 2700 to 7000 sq ft of shop space so I have had to pack things in tight in the past. Every time I've tried to make do with less than 3' it becomes a big problem.

I was way too tight in 7000 sq ft. Last summer I upgraded machines which let me get rid of 4 other machines. Almost 100k lbs out of the shop. Now I can do forklift donuts in the middle of the shop and I want to keep it that way. I hate being crunched into a tiny space trying to level a machine or crammed into the back of something trying to find an air leak.

I had a VMC tight into a corner once and broke a coolant hose. Pumped 80 gallons of coolant onto the floor and ran right out the back of the building. Made a hell of a mess that I didn't notice from the front of the mill. Luckily it was pouring rain that day.

……..I had a VMC tight into a corner once and broke a coolant hose. Pumped 80 gallons of coolant onto the floor and ran right out the back of the building. Made a hell of a mess that I didn't notice from the front of the mill. Luckily it was pouring rain that day.

The solution to pollution is dilution 🤔.

I had a VMC tight into a corner once and broke a coolant hose. Pumped 80 gallons of coolant onto the floor and ran right out the back of the building. Made a hell of a mess that I didn't notice from the front of the mill. Luckily it was pouring rain that day.

That was me a couple days ago. Thankfully the larger fadal I was working with has a small tank, but 5 extra gallons of coolant on the floor looks horrible to anyone. It was that day I missed having access to pigs. Needless to say it was a rough morning.

That level is kind of expensive ($250),but it's worth it. Also read up on how to properly position the level during the process.
There are other levels ,but I wouldn't skimp too much.

IMO that is skimping. Most machine installers I've seen use the Starrett 199 so that's what we use.

I give electrical cabinets a minimum of 3 feet for access. It would suck to have to move the machine just to go in and push a reset, replace a fuse, or reset a breaker. I had a machining center that did not get along with my not so great power company, the power blips, sometimes during good weather would seem to trip something once a week.

Did you get your VM ONE? If so, how do you like it? One of those might be on my garage wish-list. I like the minimum height in particular, plus linear ways so I wouldn't have to worry so much about skimming the oil like on a Sharp SV-2412 or 2414 box way machine. The latter is also on the short list.

Back