What's new
What's new

CNC Programing School Online

Ronnie

Plastic
Hi All,

We are facing a plant closing where I work. Some of the machinists are looking to acquire training on CNC machines to prepare for the job market. The machinists at our plant ran manual machines to support production breakdowns and repairs. Most of them have 25+ years experience.

Are there any online classes you guys would recommend?

Any particular programing language that is prevalent in today's market?

Thanks In advance,

Ronnie

CNC Programing School.

Hello Ronnie:
Its good of you to try to help all your guys.
Some CNC facts: There are many types of controls, some programmed by G-Codes where you need to learn the exact method and tell the machine what to do 1 step at a time.
Then there are the many "Conversational" controls, you don't really talk to it, you fill values into questions and it generates a program,
A prime example of these are the contrlos on the Mazak line of CNC machines with their Mazatrol control.
The primary G-Code control in the world is called Fanuc, it comes from Japan and is installed on many CNC lathes and mills from around the world.
Fanuc has been in this country since the middle 1970s and the Fanuc method of G-Code programming is used by many other machinetool builders.
Sources of education: Local Community Colleges, CNC Instruction books, CNC Instruction DVDs, Programming Manuals that come with machines.
I strongly recommend to learn G-Code programming, it takes longer to learn, but whoever knows how to do it, can get a CNC job almost anywhere in this country.
To get an idea what programs look like, look at www.doccnc.com
Its my website, all the examples are G-Code examples for Fanuc lathe and mill controls.
Heinz.

Ronnie, your best bet would be a local community college with CNC courses. If your guys are already machinists, they already understand what comprises good machining practice...cutting speeds, fixturing, etc. They're way ahead of the game already. They just need to familiarize themselves with the computerized articulation of cutting tools.
For training manuals, I always recommend the .pdf's available for free from Haas. Download the lathe & mill training manuals, for a good understanding of what it's all about. Good luck! - John

http://www.haascnc.com/custserv_training.asp#lathe

What they do need to learn is CAD/CAM. They will need to learn G-Code programming but it is fairly simple for a competent machinist to pick up, I know that from personal experience because I taught myself G-code within a few weeks of buying a CNC lathe. But while knowing G-code is necessary these days being proficient in CAD/CAM is more or less essential.

I've had great success with: The CNC Workbook: An Introduction to Computer Numerical Control (Paperback) by Frank Nanfarahttp://www.amazon.com/CNC-Workbook-...000/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1250588509&sr=8-3#

I find the software for the original yellow text installs the easiest on most systems. I've taught probably a couple dozen people from 13 years old up to old geezers how to run CNC machines using G code with this book.

It comes with a piece of software that lets you wright code, and see how it would cut the part on a lathe or a mill. You can go through it at your own pace in a week or 2. It will give you a solid understanding of the fundamentals of G code, and once you start writing programs on a control, or editing something spit out by a CAD/CAM system, your value as a CNC operator improves dramatically.

Do a Google Search, or go to Amazon.com. You can often buy it in good used condition for under $10 including the shipping.

I typically have several of these around the shop. If an individual expresses an interest in learning to program, I send them home with the book and a super simple sample part drawing. If they come back within a couple weeks and have written the code to make the part, I mentor them. If they are to lazy to put in the effort, I don't waste any more of my time.

If a 13 year old can figure it out, AND point out a minor error in the text (one example has cutter comp backwards) I'd say most grown adults with desire should be able to comprehend the material.

Good Luck,

Stu

For the cad part you can just go down to your local college bookstore and buy student versions of Solidworks, and I think they are usually bundled with some tutorials either on the disk or with a small book. The problem with academic version of Solidworks is that they expire in 6month and you will have to buy another one. There's also Alibre Design Xpress that is free and is good forever. You can download it from

http://download.cnet.com/Alibre-Design-Xpress/3000-6677_4-10424841.html

I learned Solidworks in school but have been using Alibre for a couple years now. Alibre is also having a $99 special for their regular version which is a pretty good deal.

Everyone, Thanks for the information

You have been an encouragement to the machinist.They are becoming more confident they can make the transition to CNC.

Exactitude is the rule

CNC shares one characteristic with all other computer control and programming disciplines...

The machine does EXACTLY what you tell it to do.

The most common learning problem results from people being unaccustomed to defining actions or requirements in a precise manner.

One simple exercise I've used in my programming classes is for the students to write instructions for changing an automobile tire. Many of the reults are hilarious. :D

Machinists will likely have less of a problem in this regard than persons from other professions, since machining is a precise discipline by its very nature.

- Leigh

Great school

I know this is not the prevalent cnc control for the market, but....high end machines use this control, and with my limited experience I think it is the best control on the market...

call HEINDENHAIN, they are in chicago....great teacher and very very affordable...

I attended a class specific to my machine, for a mere 400 DOLLARS they gave me all of the books on the control for my machine, and four days of extensive training, and a discount on the hotel room that you can walk to the school....and they feed you lunch! ! ! ! they will put you in the seat of the control you are going to use, and go over everything you might need in detail, they cover G code and conversational

I then took a cnc class at the local community college.....wow! they have new Mazak controls.........I feel they are arcahiac compared to the Heidenhain......the Mazak cannot do half of the things that the Heidenhain will do with their old controls..........that is my only experience with cnc....and Heidenhain wins hands down......get stuck and call heidenhain and they will talk you through any problem....

finally for all the people that want to talk it down (heidenhain)
HOW EXPENSIVE IS FLAWLESS PERFORMANCE?

If you are Acquiring machines.....

If you are going through any machine dealer or a direct factory buy sitution, there should be training available from the vendor. This has always been the case for me. In this market, training may be a negotiable item when buying a machine from a seller who is hungry.

Direct training on specific machines you will use is vital! General knowledge is absolutely necessary, but actually pressing the keys and seeing the results on what you will acquire is priceless and helps decrease future learning curves exponentially.

I think Heinz R. Putz's credentials look impressive, and I like his teaching style.

If you guys would consider hiring him to come to Nevada, I would drive down from N Cal to attend. Probably would be very reasonable split in cost between everyone one attending.

I just bought a Fagor 8025 controlled Hardinge and don't know cnc either.

I think Heinz R. Putz's credentials look impressive, and I like his teaching style.

If you guys would consider hiring him to come to Nevada, I would drive down from N Cal to attend. Probably would be very reasonable split in cost between everyone one attending.

I just bought a Fagor 8025 controlled Hardinge and don't know cnc either.

Good luck finding online a place to learn Fagor canned cycles! G-codes are mostly the same for everyday programming, but the canned cycles are totally different than any Fanuc cycle you may know. However, like everything else, they have their pluses and minuses. We have 3 manual Hardinge lathes converted to run with the 8025, and a CMS with the same control purchased new.

Dwell (G4) uses K instead of the X U or P used by Fanuc. Instead of GOTO445 Fagor uses G25 N445 to jump directly to block N445. Canned cycles all use P0=K.1 format. Nothing intuitive about them!

Fagor use 'F' numbers for Operators. P1 = P2 F1 P3 is the equivalent of #a = #b + #c (such as #100=#101+#102) in Fanucese. Make darn sure you got a Fagor programming manual with the machine. LOL

In some ways they are better than a Fanuc, and maybe more powerful in some areas. Only saying that based on what little I've read the Fagor manual. Ours are used for secondary ops for the most part. Don't get to try the good stuff Fagor has available. :(

I just need to learn the principals and fundametals, then I can transfer that (letters and numbers) to any control. I've got the Fagor manuals.

The Fagor manual goes into detail on their code. I don't think it will be a problem.

I think Hienz was $750 a day session or something like that. Split that between 10-15 guys and you've got it covered.

As luck has it...

http://www.cnc-academy.com/cncprogrammingcourses.htm#15

15. FAGOR - CNC PROGRAMMING & OPERATION
CD Course or Hardcover ($85)

The Fagor is a powerful CNC Control designed to meet the most demanding Machine-Tool applications: Lathes and Turning Centers, Milling machines, Machining centers and general purpose applications (such as surface grinders). Features include Machining simulation with graphics in 3D , solid and for tool path.

Linear, circular and helical interpolation of up to 4 axes simultaneously.
and Intelligent profile editor. Learn to program profile editor and its
interactive editor.

G-codes are mostly the same for everyday programming, but the canned cycles are totally different than any Fanuc cycle you may know. However, like everything else, they have their pluses and minuses. We have 3 manual Hardinge lathes converted to run with the 8025, and a CMS with the same control purchased new.

Dwell (G4) uses K instead of the X U or P used by Fanuc. Instead of GOTO445 Fagor uses G25 N445 to jump directly to block N445. Canned cycles all use P0=K.1 format. Nothing intuitive about them!

Fagor use 'F' numbers for Operators. P1 = P2 F1 P3 is the equivalent of #a = #b + #c (such as #100=#101+#102) in Fanucese. Make darn sure you got a Fagor programming manual with the machine. LOL

In some ways they are better than a Fanuc, and maybe more powerful in some areas. Only saying that based on what little I've read the Fagor manual. Ours are used for secondary ops for the most part. Don't get to try the good stuff Fagor has available. :(

Great tips there GCG. Anyone tried the CD above?

I know this is not the prevalent cnc control for the market, but....high end machines use this control, and with my limited experience I think it is the best control on the market...

call HEINDENHAIN, they are in chicago....great teacher and very very affordable...

I second the heidenhain idea.
But then I maybe biased because I use their 530i controls all the time
But give them their credit , you can download a 530i demo program plus manuals from their website and install it on your pc.
The demo is limited to 100 lines , plus you cant transfer programs to a real 530i control, but thats no hinderance when you are learning

Check out http://www.heidenhain.com/ and look for the programing station and the 530i manual.

As a side note, I use the demo all the time to learn to use new features and prove out some programming functions so that I dont have a loud, surprising and rather expensive tool-vice-bed interface incident :D

Boris

Back