Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aejgx6 View Post
    Welcome. This is not the place for people with thin skin.
    Ain't that the truth!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My insurance covers machine failure caused by my company but does not cover lost income for the machine while it is down.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t know how you guys run your machines at your shop, but here we always proof out our programs before cutting any material.

For example you can run it in simulation mode. After that I was always taught on smaller programs to put in offset to run all tooling 2 inches above part to make sure nothing crazy happens.

Another thing you should have in your software is gouge checking. That will show alarm if your tool would smack something it’s not supposed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump. I actually was asking questions in post #7. They were not rhetorical, I was trying to ascertain information. It's very hard to generate code to some machines without the right software. Try posting to a Tsugami with Bobcad.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Bump. I actually was asking questions in post #7. They were not rhetorical, I was trying to ascertain information. It's very hard to generate code to some machines without the right software. Try posting to a Tsugami with Bobcad.

R
    Hey sorry for not responding quicker I missed your post.

If you are trying to find a post processor that works for your Tsugami I can go to work sometime this weekend and see the list that I have.

Also you can create your own post processor. Is your Tsugami Fanuc controlled?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    What I am curious about is liability insurance? In the event your program crashes a 5 axis machine who/how is this resolved if let's say serious damage is done to the machine? I'm seriously asking how's this work? Who's left holding the bag if a customers machine gets wrecked?

Brent
    Well first off I would not feel comfortable sending someone a program that requires 4 or 5 axis machining unless I was on the job.

To me it’s not worth risking my reputation just to make a quick buck to turn around and blow up a 500k machine. I would recommend you or another customer to contact someone close to your facility that can show up and see what your working with.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCProgrammer01 View Post
    Hey sorry for not responding quicker I missed your post.

If you are trying to find a post processor that works for your Tsugami I can go to work sometime this weekend and see the list that I have.

Also you can create your own post processor. Is your Tsugami Fanuc controlled?

I don't have a Tsugami. Teach does though. Could you please not evade post #7. Is it that big a deal? WHAT SOFTWARE ARE YOU USING?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me it’s not worth risking my reputation

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    Some peoples comfort levels are different than others. A properly documented program, either in cam, or by hand, or created by cam but only g-code is delivered IMHO is fine. But I say that with a grain of salt, I wouldn't personally hire someone to post code to our machines without me reviewing things first, either in person or remotely. Once the trust is built up, there isn't any reason not to farm out programming unless you have people sitting around to do the work. In my case I wish I could find someone that could learn what we do, without paying them for six months to get up to speed. It's hard enough to find a part time engineer to design fixtures and whatnot.
    Agreed I think some people get the wrong idea here.

My post was made to get in touch with business that need help.

I am not hear to compete with someone that has been programming for 25 years and they have 300 employees that company does not need my help.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CNC Programming

What software? Do you do 5 Axe wire? B-axis Turning center? Do you use Gibbs for that, or MasterCam? Can you make it so the OSP-200 does a proper tool hanger, even with a side mount carousel? What if my 4th is SMW and not Koma? What about the secondary interface with a Barfeeder? Will your software support Pinched Turning, Skivving, Hobbing, CNC Broaching? Do you have a post for every version of every Control on Earth? Including MX-4 and Omniturn? What about all the custom Macros?

10 years is a while...but not a long time. Making Grantee's that you can improve my part processing sounds expensive to me (in both ways)
    I do not have every control on earth.
    I use EZ-Guide-I and BobCAD for cnc lathe with sub and with bar feeder. It will not support pinch turning but does live tooling.
    I use BobCAD and Gibbs for CNC Milling.
    CNC broaching ✔️
    Here is a list of codes for your Omniturn.

http://www.omni-turn.com/pdf/Sec2%20Programming.PDF

Hope I answered some of your questions have a good night.

Last edited by CNCProgrammer01; 08-11-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    When did they move Pennsylvania to the Aland Islands?
    It's Johnstown...there was this flood see.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed I think some people get the wrong idea here.

My post was made to get in touch with business that need help.

I am not hear to compete with someone that has been programming for 25 years and they have 300 employees that company does not need my help.

No, we've got the right idea, you came in the wrong door.

You can't even put the proper location, you misspelled things, and again
    YOU CAME IN THE WRONG DOOR.

13. Likes adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not have every control on earth.
    I use EZ-Guide-I and BobCAD for cnc lathe with sub and with bar feeder. It will not support pinch turning but does live tooling.
    I use BobCAD and Gibbs for CNC Milling.
    Fuck me, I gotta set up one of those 900-psychic-hotline phone numbers. Was it a guess, or obvious?

FYI Omniturn is the most basic 2 axis Turning center ever. And simple Google search gets you the list of G-codes. But it's a gang style lathe, and Bobscam isn't set up for it.

Good luck man.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No, we've got the right idea, you came in the wrong door.

You can't even put the proper location, you misspelled things, and again
    YOU CAME IN THE WRONG DOOR.
    You have a nice weekend bud.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck me, I gotta set up one of those 900-psychic-hotline phone numbers. Was it a guess, or obvious?

FYI Omniturn is the most basic 2 axis Turning center ever. And simple Google search gets you the list of G-codes. But it's a gang style lathe, and Bobscam isn't set up for it.

Good luck man.

R
    If you get the basic BobCAD it’s not going to have anything close to the more expensive software.

Anyway good luck and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you successfully post to our dual turret Integrex I-200 cutting on both spindles simultaneously ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like how everyone is jumping this guys shit... Its obvious he is young and trying to drum up some side money. If you aren't interested just move along?
    Its also pretty obvious the OP is naive and has a lot to learn but I'd say over 50% of small shops are still in the dark without a decent programmer?

Half the people complaining about not trusting someone to send programs over the internet / who is responsible for repairs to their machine are running 10-20k used machines or are employees lol.

Some advice to OP.
    1. Until you have a powerful CAD/CAM with simulation I would stick to doing work locally for a few reasons
    A. You can prove out your own programs
    B. You can learn how that shop works... No two shops want parts made the same way.
    C. Changes can be made on the fly.

I do exactly what you are trying to do (3-5 axis milling) but I'm extremely selective on who I work with now. The few shops I help out have turned into friends and the cash is always nice

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    I like how everyone is jumping this guys shit... Its obvious he is young and trying to drum up some side money. If you aren't interested just move along?
    Its also pretty obvious the OP is naive and has a lot to learn but I'd say over 50% of small shops are still in the dark without a decent programmer?

Half the people complaining about not trusting someone to send programs over the internet / who is responsible for repairs to their machine are running 10-20k used machines or are employees lol.

Some advice to OP.
    1. Until you have a powerful CAD/CAM with simulation I would stick to doing work locally for a few reasons
    A. You can prove out your own programs
    B. You can learn how that shop works... No two shops want parts made the same way.
    C. Changes can be made on the fly.

I do exactly what you are trying to do (3-5 axis milling) but I'm extremely selective on who I work with now. The few shops I help out have turned into friends and the cash is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post

^^^ That's what I was thinking too. I was thinking O.K. how does this "kid" make money with what he has and gain more experience. I was thinking "locally" too.

I've known a few machining outfits in Pennsylvania (particularly supplying to the semi -conductor industry) and they running those shops were not "Rocket Engineers/Einsteins" either. like 3rd generation well monied shop owners that don't really have a passion or head in the game other than wanting to make $ by whatever means.

Long story short @ OP you have to travel and press the flesh, and in your area and beyond I bet there are few outfits that have CNC machines that they would want to re-task and don't have the time or confidence to do that.

Maybe figure out the safest machines / posts... Haas 3 axis... Haas 3+1 … Soundly like you have a handle on one Doosan machine at your family's shop etc.

If you are working side by side with machinists you should be able to "square the circle" initially on simpler machines.

For more remote stuff I don't think even Skype/ facetime will save your bacon but might be worth testing it out. (Controlled tests with reasonable helpful peeps on the other end).

The thing that's interesting is that this ALWAYS a problem for new machines and finding CAD/CAM vendors that have a competent post that can be tweaked in a useful way or not have axes switched about and so on. Maybe have a view as to what your future business might be and incrementally work towards that piece by piece.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Dumb question : @OP [tk will edit (not enough coffee yet to write English properly) ]… Does your family firm have any interest in investing in CNC mill equipment ? 'Cuz seems maybe you could broaden out your families business ? Yeah ?

20. Likes dstryr, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No I can't. I would love to learn how to but that is on another level.

If you guys are trying to figure out what I know, odds are someone that has been doing this for 15-20 years knows more then me. We have a small business of 5 employees.

I do not know how to program every machine, but I am the type of person that loves to learn and if I got the opportunity I would go for it.

I would not do anything more then basic programming with a new customer. This is how you would build trust with them.

The whole point in me coming on here is to get my name out there. I put our business on here as well just to get word out, so if someone does not need programming it exposes our business as well.

Thanks

22. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@Dennis good save man! 'Cuz this thread was turning into a bit of a "turd train".

Like his family makes good / useful sh*t for Uncle Sam ?

If US shop owner are incapable of helping out other US shop owners in a non competitive way then how do we compete with what's going on overseas?

^^^ Not very well expressed but you get what I mean... Manufacturing in the US is an "ecosystem" not a conniving snake pit (or shouldn't be).

Together we stand, divided we fall... Blah blah other hangered rhetoric + Norman Rockwell paintings but YKWIM.

24. Likes dstryr liked this post