What's new
What's new

Collets V Chucks

Matty.T

Plastic
I have just started working in the robotics industry and I was wondering if collets or chucks are best for reliability? Which is best for reducing run out for example?

ER collets have more points of contact, meaning more flexibility.

But if 3 jaw chucks are more stable, does that mean they're more reliable and reduce run out?

Collet chucks run out less.

3-jaw chucks' advantage is a wider clamping range. I wouldn't use them for anything but drills in a CNC unless no other options are available.

All depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.
Use the best tool for the job, sometimes its a chuck with bored jaws, sometimes its collets.

I have just started working in the robotics industry and I was wondering if collets or chucks are best for reliability? Which is best for reducing run out for example?

ER collets have more points of contact, meaning more flexibility.

But if 3 jaw chucks are more stable, does that mean they're more reliable and reduce run out?

One of us doesn't know what you are talking about.
... and I'm not sure which one of us it is.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think Collets are good, and I think Chucks are good.

Hope that's helpful.

Maybe he's talking about stable, like on a horse ranch??

R

Look into shrink fit, and both mechanical and hydraulic milling chucks. 3 jaw chucks have their place for rapid setup for drills, taps, and reamers, but I would never put an endmill in one.

Look into shrink fit, and both mechanical and hydraulic milling chucks. 3 jaw chucks have their place for rapid setup for drills, taps, and reamers, but I would never put an endmill in one.

Does anyone know what the OP is asking? Work holding in a lathe, tool holding in a mill or lathe, or a robot arm moving stuff from here to there?
Seems like each would have a different answer.

Does anyone know what the OP is asking? Work holding in a lathe, tool holding in a mill or lathe, or a robot arm moving stuff from here to there?
Seems like each would have a different answer.

No worries....

We just need someone to pipe in about the attributes of different end-effectors and we have all options covered at least once!

:D

:toetap:

:popcorn:

--------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It was for holding tooling in a CNC Mill. The holder was damaged and I forgot to come back to reply. It's been resolved now, thanks.

It was for holding tooling in a CNC Mill. The holder was damaged and I forgot to come back to reply. It's been resolved now, thanks.

In that case, Chucks are the best, you shouldn't be using anything else. You magazine should only have Chucks. Especially for HSM paths.

R

Best Collets can run .0002 or close to that depending on the spindle or the collet holder..often collets have little wobble.

Chucks even adjusted to near zero still can have part wobble.

Chucks can hold apart stronger from turning/slipping than a collet.

Perhaps best for reducing run out is a part held between centers..

Back