What's new
What's new

Combination Drill--Chamfer for Live Tooling Lathe

munruh

Hot Rolled
We have a new Doosan Lynx with live tooling showing up tomorrow. Some of the jobs are drilled and tapped holes in the side of the parts. Normally we drill, then chamfer the hole, and then tap the hole. We are going to be limited on live milling holders. Are there any suggestions for drills that would have a chamfer on them? Some kind of combination tool that drills and puts a pre-tap chamfer on. Surely I am not the only one facing this.. Thanks a lot

I've used them. They're pretty good, not bullet proof though. Actually, I used the tap chamfer tool, on thousands of aluminum parts. It was good enough for a commercial part.

Never tried the drill chamfer tool. It would probably work ok especially if you brazed it to the shank. In screw machine work, you need to know everything is "bullet proof."

I did grind down a larger diameter circuit board drill and leave a chamfer step on it for a #4-40 tap drill enough to drill through 1/8" 6061 aluminum. You can't drill quite as fast because the geometry has been compromised.

Regards,

Stan-

We just have them ground by our tool grinder. Usually a Guhring carbide drill to start. You can also get specials made by most drill suppliers.

I use solid carbide chamfer-drills a lot in production jobs to save a toolchange. Over here I can get them off the shelf from Sandvik or WNT in the common tap sizes. They work well in all situtations I've tried them in.

An example from Sandvik's catalogue:

020679.jpg

I use solid carbide chamfer-drills a lot in production jobs to save a toolchange. Over here I can get them off the shelf from Sandvik or WNT in the common tap sizes. They work well in all situtations I've tried them in.

An example from Sandvik's catalogue:

020679.jpg

We use those, as well as these Kennametal BF combo drills that come with replaceable inserts for the chamfer:

images._slash_usr_slash_applications_slash_day_slash_product_data_slash_web_normal_slash_25416.gif

Kennametal BF Metric CounterSink/Chamfer and Drill Combo

The drill bit is just a standard drill positioned by set screws, so the holder is basically just a sleeve that comes with the possibility of using those chamfer inserts.

Ok, I used the burr-bit on the job I was asking about. Now I have another job that I must use spiral flute taps. The burr bits don't work on this they say. they have a cham-bit for drills, but they are hesitant about using it on a solid carbide drill. The sandvik drill does not have long enough depth between the chamfer and the flute. The kennametal system, the shank is too large. Any other ideas?

Back