What's new
What's new

Common size shank taps. Good idea?

I am always having a problem holding onto taps in my lathes. On my dual turret machines I always want to keep the extension shortest possible. Just one example is when the tap on the upper turret is facing the subspindle so it needs to be short to clear for indexing. Since it is an odball shank I need to use a straight shank collet chuck going into the tool block. If it was a common shank size such as 1/4,3/8,1/2 I can just use a boring bar bushing.

Thinking about offering a line of taps with common size straight shanks with a flat. No square in the back. It would be nice to be able to use a standard collet, endmill holder, or lathe bushing. These taps are intended for machines with rigid tapping. Anyway just venting, spent 30 minutes finding the right comination of straight shank collet chuck and lathe bushing and tool block on my lathe.

Yes I am also aware that I can just make boring bar or lathe bushings to match the shank size of current tap shank sizes. That is also an option.

I don't think I would buy taps with odd size shanks, but I have all the quick change stuff already.

You could get a straight shank quick change holder like this one to fit the turret block. This one has about 1-3/4" of stick out.

Attachments

• tapholder.jpg
    tapholder.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 256
I don't think I would buy taps with odd size shanks, but I have all the quick change stuff already.

You could get a straight shank quick change holder like this one to fit the turret block. This one has about 1-3/4 of stick out.

All current taps have odd size shanks. A 1/4-20 has a .255 dia shank. 1-3/4 is very long. My straight shanks add .900 and I still try to get shorter.

All current taps have odd size shanks. A 1/4-20 has a .255 dia shank. 1-3/4 is very long. My straight shanks add .900 and I still try to get shorter.
I meant odd sized as in non-standard.

That holder sticks out less than my collet chucks, but if it's too long it's too long...

Simple mild steel bushings brazed on ?

HAve Ox make a run of them all with the same OD, and the flat you desire.

Differing bores for the taps, simply braze away & go ...

Consider Tom
Walz for the brazing subcontractor.

There is one application where standard fractional shanks would come in handy, that is on extended lengths.

I want to choke them up in a collet so they don't hang out any more than needed, and that's when the weird shank sizes can be a hassle if I don't have the right collet.

I'd certainly push my bosses to buy taps with standard size shanks. Any time I have a setup that requires a tap, it's a frustrating hunt through the shop and having several co-workers hunt through their toolboxes for the proper collet, of which maybe two or three exist. Looks like an 1/8" shank? Oh no, it's .138 because eff you. :skep:

Where did the tap shank size standard even come from????

It really doesn't make any damn sense, and every manufacturer follows it.

No, it's much worse than that.

There's ANSI standard tap blanks that we commonly use in the USA. There's also DIN spec tap blanks used in Europe. Companies like Guhring offer every conceivable combination of blank and tap size.

For example, you can get a M6 tap with the same ANSI spec tap blank as a 1/4-20. Or you can get it in DIN length, with ANSI diameter. Or DIN length with DIN diameter. Not sure about ANSI length with ANSI diameter, but I bet it's possible.

I think it's a good idea, but may be a bottomless pit. There's so many flavors of taps: spiral point, spiral flute, slow twist spiral flute, fast twist spiral flute, bottoming, semi bottoming, reduced shank, roll form, and every kind of coating under the sun. Then the pitch diameter variations. I know in production machining I always run the largest H size I can, often much larger than "standard", especially for form taps.

Maybe a line like the Emuge Multitaps that are pretty decent for most general materials.

I am always having a problem holding onto taps in my lathes. On my dual turret machines I always want to keep the extension shortest possible. Just one example is when the tap on the upper turret is facing the subspindle so it needs to be short to clear for indexing. Since it is an odball shank I need to use a straight shank collet chuck going into the tool block. If it was a common shank size such as 1/4,3/8,1/2 I can just use a boring bar bushing.

Thinking about offering a line of taps with common size straight shanks with a flat. No square in the back. It would be nice to be able to use a standard collet, endmill holder, or lathe bushing. These taps are intended for machines with rigid tapping. Anyway just venting, spent 30 minutes finding the right comination of straight shank collet chuck and lathe bushing and tool block on my lathe.

Yes I am also aware that I can just make boring bar or lathe bushings to match the shank size of current tap shank sizes. That is also an option.

Dont try to reinvent the wheel here. I dont want to buy anymore holder than i already have simple as that.

No, it's much worse than that.

There's ANSI standard tap blanks that we commonly use in the USA. There's also DIN spec tap blanks used in Europe. Companies like Guhring offer every conceivable combination of blank and tap size.

For example, you can get a M6 tap with the same ANSI spec tap blank as a 1/4-20. Or you can get it in DIN length, with ANSI diameter. Or DIN length with DIN diameter. Not sure about ANSI length with ANSI diameter, but I bet it's possible.

I've encountered that and it really can be overwhelming. I was trying to match up taps in the Emuge catalog with the tapholders I have on hand and just wanted to throw the book at the wall and buy all new stuff.

Having taps with normal decimal/fractional size shanks could be very handy at times. or maybe having a whole line of taps with one size shank, like 1/2" so you could put them in boring bar sleeves would be popular. Until of course they don't fit into legacy holders. I use mostly extension/compression holders and tapmatic heads so I'm not a likely customer to start with though.

It would be nice to have them for use in a slim solid holler for the reach. You wouldn't have to make or buy them tap extensions.

Frank probably wouldn't sell thousands of them but I'd certainly purchase some.

It would be nice to have them for use in a slim solid holler for the reach. You wouldn't have to make or buy them tap extensions.

Frank probably wouldn't sell thousands of them but I'd certainly purchase some.

Every dick and harry makes ER collets for taps of any size you want... whats the problem here?

Thinking some more....Ditch the brazing and the "One time use"
Make the adapter bushing simply Shrink fit !

Should be able to utilize the same heater as the tooling holders
do.

Thinking some more....Ditch the brazing and the "One time use"
Make the adapter bushing simply Shrink fit !
Should be able to utilize the same heater as the tooling holders
do.

Now THERE is a good idea! Nice one, DD.
icon14.png

Frank,

I'd like it if the tap shanks were normal sized, like an M6 tap with a 6mm shank, 1/4-20 tap with 0.25" shank, ect. When I ordered from you a month ago, I bought collet sizes that matched the tap sizes but a few of the tap shanks were so different that I had to re-order collets and wait for shipping just to get them in the holders. (BTW, on your website, can you please list the shank diameter for each tap for future purchases?)

Back