What's new
What's new

Compact II/ Nicam

Town

Plastic
Is there any software or system on the market to inexpensively and quickly translate compact II programming files(Nicam .NCS) to G & M code? We have thousands of old Nicam files and none of our machines can read them. We are constantly redesigning and programming tools from scratch because we can't use the old nicam files. I reached out to Software magic but have not heard back.

good luck with that, we experienced the same thing when we switched from Bravo/NCG which used compact 2 to Esprit back in 2003. I gave up and just bit the bullet and re-programmed a lot of old jobs to bring them current.

We have thousands of old Nicam files and none of our machines can read them.
It's more complicated than that. Nicam was a language-based programming system, like APT. I think there were some translators between language systems back then, like APT to COMPACT II and so on, but not between language-based and graphics-based.

They are totally different methods.

Do you still have the nicam processor ? Or was that time-shared ?

If you still have it, or can find a nicam - apt translator, it's not that hard to learn. If you have thousands of working programs, I'd just learn how to use it.

Otherwise, re-program time. And don't pick anything that's going to go broke in three years.

Back