What's new
What's new

Considering modding a coolant tank

wheelieking71

Diamond
So, a little preface: Mayfran Clean-Sweep conveyor. I don't know how big the tank is? About the same size as a std. 2000's haas VF2 tank maybe?
This is parked behind a Brother R650. My issues: the chip-flush function in the machine can drain the tank from full to half in about 30 secs.
Hard to believe it can effectively put half a tank of coolant in the machine, and maintain that, but it can and does.
If the tank is only half full, you can see how this is a big issue! This also makes it really hard for the guys to stay on top of the coolant.
One of them in particular cant grasp why the level fluctuates so much. He keeps checking it at the wrong times. Adds a bucket. Next thing you know, there is coolant all over the floor.
I'm getting pretty tired of paying him to run a mop. Let alone the wasted coolant.
I got a quote for a 500 liter tank from Mayfran. $5,500 :eek: I am sure there is a real nice Yamazen mark-up at play here.
I've played this game once before trying to buy stuff direct rather than go through Yamazen.
Regardless, it ain't happening.

So, the tank has a drain. Just a 1" FIP weldolet. I am thinking of building a secondary tank to sit right behind the existing tank and utilizing the weldolet to connect them with a short piece of hose. What I am wondering is: will the 1" fittings allow enough flow between the tanks to help the situation? I am actually more worried about when the chip-flush shuts off, and the coolant all drains back to the sump. I'm afraid the 1" port will not allow enough flow to the secondary tank, and I will still end up with coolant all over the floor. I could add one or two more. But, I would rather not if I don't have to.

Anybody ever done anything like this? Other than a whole new tank, I can't really think of any other solution.

Do you have room to cut out the old 1" and install a 2" ?

Should be an easy torch & weld job.

With it not having much head pressure I would want to see something larger than 1".

I have a 1" hose connecting a 300 gal and 50 gal tank but the only real flow the 50 gal tank sees is from a garden hose wash down for cleaning pallets.

Flow rate with only gravity the acting force is sensitive to hose type, length, fittings.
A one inch drain hose on one of my SG coolant trays will not keep up with my 10GPM coolant flow and the 6 inch deep tray will overflow.
Somewhere around 2-4 GPM and it will keep up but this a straight free drop with no resistance from the other side as the water level rises in your tank #2.
Maybe make a cheap tank 2 out of a plastic five gallon bucket and time the flow.
Bob

I have no idea how big a 2000's VF2 tank is, but I'm betting the 1" fitting isn't going to give you anywhere close to enough flow.

I do have one small machine with gravity fed split tanks, and they are joined with a 3" hose.

I have a couple of bigger machines with split tanks, but they are much bigger (1200L tanks) and have transfer pumps and level switches.

could you make a siphon pipe out of 2 or even 3 inch pvc and connect the two tanks? Put a fill port in the crossover between the two drops into the tanks. Quick and inexpensive and would proof the concept. You can alter the tank later if necessary.

Dave

Simple solution - never stop the machine! You'll make more money that way anyhow.

Serious solution - I'd want to see a 4-5" bulkhead to keep up with gravity draining one tank to the other. Otherwise just stick a sump pump with a float switch on the main tank so when the cabinet flush shuts off it quickly pumps to the overflow tank and leave the two tanks connected with only the 1" orifice.

Thanks for all the input guys! I was figuring you would all be in agreement that the single 1" was too small.
I had to ask though, an engineer I am not.
Rick, a pump is an interesting idea. My only concern with that is the float valve. I've been in a few flooded basements in my day. All for the same reason.

Thanks for all the input guys! I was figuring you would all be in agreement that the single 1" was too small.
I had to ask though, an engineer I am not.
Rick, a pump is an interesting idea. My only concern with that is the float valve. I've been in a few flooded basements in my day. All for the same reason.

My friend uses water well jet pumps for coolant.

I'm thinking, if you bought a 2 pipe external jet version, and put the jet down in the "main tank".
The jet pump can run all the time, it get's it's "jet water" from the add on tank,
keeps pumping it down to the jet, to suck up any in the main tank.
When the main is dry, the pump will not run dry, as it's getting it's water from the add on tank.

If the tank is thin enough you can use a knockout punch through the fitting to open it up instead of a torch/plasma/holesaw.

I have one large machine with a split tank system and it uses a 3" hose between two 100+ gallon sumps. That machine has a hell of a pump on it and it will suck the entire sump dry in a couple minutes if I don't throttle it back about 3/4 or so flow with a valve.

I'm having two new 16g stainless coolant tanks built right now. It's good to have friends in the sheetmetal biz.

Food for thought, the drain pipe in the wall for the wash machine is 2" I.D. I don't think 1" will do it, if I understand correctly.

The more I look at this, and think about it..........
I think maybe I will just cut a big rectangle hole in the back of the tank, and just make it bigger.
After I started thinking about what a PITA it would be to service two separate tanks joined by hose, that idea lost its luster.

The more I look at this, and think about it..........
I think maybe I will just cut a big rectangle hole in the back of the tank, and just make it bigger.
After I started thinking about what a PITA it would be to service two separate tanks joined by hose, that idea lost its luster.

Start with the simple hose idea. You might be surprised. Buy a small stock tank at Tractor Supply and some garden hose. Attach them together. I have a customer who does super fines in plastic tying an auxillary tank to his main machine tank. The volume was what he needed. If you find the small hose is not enough, you can get up to 3 inch flex PVC hose used for ponds from Amazon. Put two bulk heads in and tie them together. You can add a small pump for circulation if you so desire.

My old 80" excell had 2 tanks one on each side of the machine maybe 50+ gals each tank 10" deep. it had a 2" hose connecting the tanks together(about 2.5 feet of hose)
had 2 coolant pumps one high pressure one normal. when the high pressure pump(for wash down) ran it would basically empty one tank and suck air. reason being most of the coolant drained into the left side tank so the right one would get low Thats where both pumps were.
Granted your machine is smaller so you might not have the same issue when putting another tank on. but something to think about.

Back