Considering modding a coolant tank - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytn36 View Post
    Honestly, I'd just buy a sheet of metal, some 3/4" angle, cut a square out and add on to the tank. And you get to brush up on your welding.
    Pretty much what I am thinking now. Might even be able to use it as an excuse to weasel my way in to a TIG welder for the shop!

I have two un-used std. Brother tanks just sitting around taking up space. I may just start cutting them up!

2. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    He keeps checking it at the wrong times. Adds a bucket. Next thing you know, there is coolant all over the floor.
    Little off topic here, but he reminds of the the operator who used to run the machine next me at my last job. He asked me one day if he could use MY washdown hose to clean HIS machine because mine had more pressure LOL. I still kick my self for not letting him go ahead with it...

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Separate sump tank is also an option. Hell, I think it was Tonytn36 with some pictures on their machines a long while ago running like that.

I mean, you're a car guy... you can't tell me you don't want a dry sump lube upgrade on your R650!

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd go the stock tank route, with a transfer pump to fill it and an overflow back into the main tank incase the float switch fails. As much as I hate Chipblaster, I haven't seen one of their tanks overflow and they've used that setup for a long time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the minimal difference in head between the main and an extension tank you're not likely to get the flow you need between two tanks. You'd need a really big transfer line and that gets difficult. Adding pumps adds complexity.

The simplest and most likely to work option is to add to the tank. You can cut some gaping holes into the existing tank prior to welding the extension onto it to insure the flow. What I've done in the past with similar projects is to get a sheet metal shop to shear and bend up some material ahead- just a simple angle or two with one leg the depth of the tank and the other leg the width of your extension. Even get them to put a hem on the top edge. With this approach you'll have a lot less welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a machine with 2 coolant tanks, one on either side of the machine. I set it up with a 1.5" hose between, with cam lock connectors for irrigation equipment sourced from the local farm store. Has been fine, but the main tank has both pumps and catches most of the return flow, the second tank does not get much of the return coolant so there's not a lot of flow through the hose. Approx 100 gallons total.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty much what I am thinking now. Might even be able to use it as an excuse to weasel my way in to a TIG welder for the shop!

I have two un-used std. Brother tanks just sitting around taking up space. I may just start cutting them up!
    Right height, have wheels already and as you stated, a chance to buy a TIG.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have a Mayfran, but I've learned that playing with the timing of the chip flush system can make a difference. When it comes on, how often, and for how long. You likely already played with all that, but once in a while I forget the obvious.
    Another thing I played with, which end mill, rougher, etc to get chips to cooperate and work best, get flushed easiest, not cause the tank to overflow etc. You likely thought of that too, but I had a couple of learning experiences along the path involving tanks overflowing.
    Good luck!

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would get a stock tank, if 55 gallons is too small, as my main tank and put a sump pump, or two for redundancy, in the Mayfran. The coolant comes out of the machine into the Mayfran, immediately gets pumped out into a filter, which drains into the main tank nice and clean. All pumps pull from the main tank. If the Mayfran lets small chips through as long as they are small enough not to cause trouble for the sump pump who cares, the filter will catch them. Bonus to this is you have perfectly clean coolant to your pumps, no baffles so skimming the oil off your coolant is easy, I have a box way mill so lots of oil, and if you have multiple machines then centralized coolant is not much of a leap. I went this route years ago for different reasons and love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    I don't have a Mayfran, but I've learned that playing with the timing of the chip flush system can make a difference. When it comes on, how often, and for how long. You likely already played with all that, but once in a while I forget the obvious.
    Another thing I played with, which end mill, rougher, etc to get chips to cooperate and work best, get flushed easiest, not cause the tank to overflow etc. You likely thought of that too, but I had a couple of learning experiences along the path involving tanks overflowing.
    Good luck!
    Ohh yea! Been playing with all that for a while now, LOL. I have probably re-posted my first OP programs 30 times in the name of chip control.
    And, countless hand-edits moving the chip-flush around. Right now I have the retention time set @ 25secs. I have found that to be just under the spill threshold.
    I also, a couple weeks ago, removed and capped the very front bottom flush tubes (closest to part change station) on each side. This increased velocity from the remaining ports.
    That actually helped a lot on the machining side of the wall. It gets a little messier on the floor of the part changing side. But, that is easy peasy to maintain.

I am going to rule out any solution that involves more pumps. I want this as simple as possible. Only thing I want to have to rely on is gravity.
    You guys all have great ideas.
    But, this has to be something I can complete in one weekend. Has to be dead reliable (gravity). And, fit. I have a very small amount of space to accomplish this.
    Ohh, it also has to be cheap!

15. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh yea! Been playing with all that for a while now, LOL. I have probably re-posted my first OP programs 30 times in the name of chip control.
    And, countless hand-edits moving the chip-flush around. Right now I have the retention time set @ 25secs. I have found that to be just under the spill threshold.
    I also, a couple weeks ago, removed and capped the very front bottom flush tubes (closest to part change station) on each side. This increased velocity from the remaining ports.
    That actually helped a lot on the machining side of the wall. It gets a little messier on the floor of the part changing side. But, that is easy peasy to maintain.

I am going to rule out any solution that involves more pumps. I want this as simple as possible. Only thing I want to have to rely on is gravity.
    You guys all have great ideas.
    But, this has to be something I can complete in one weekend. Has to be dead reliable (gravity). And, fit. I have a very small amount of space to accomplish this.
    Ohh, it also has to be cheap!
    Making a mod using the extra tanks is the best solution. Also, being someone who bought the cutest little cement mixer from Amazon because of a yard project gave me an excuse, I get the want to buy a TIG set up. Don't be cheap. Find a local fab shop to make one of the exisiting tanks to fit the size of your space and then over a weekend you can cut a slightly larger hole in each tank to attach the two tanks together with bulkheads. You don't need to double the amount of coolant just want a bit of spill over room and safety. You also don't have enough time in the day.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Modding the coolant tank....and here I thought you were going to have it chromed....
    Eefen' It Don't Go Chrome It - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Little off topic here, but he reminds of the the operator who used to run the machine next me at my last job. He asked me one day if he could use MY washdown hose to clean HIS machine because mine had more pressure LOL. I still kick my self for not letting him go ahead with it...
    I used to work with a guy who would do that when his machine was low on coolant. Kid next to him could never figure out why he had to top his tank off so often.