Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my experience with lessor grade inconels a 45 degree approach makes a huge difference. As stated a sharp tool, and 45 degree chamfer at cut start. Sandvik make a cnmg insert with a 45 degree corner on it, never used it though. An snmg or button tool were my first choice. I’ve also used a small 45 degree inserted, shanked milling cutter as a boring tool. So much better then any 90 degree or thereabouts tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by number 2 View Post
    In my experience with lessor grade inconels a 45 degree approach makes a huge difference. As stated a sharp tool, and 45 degree chamfer at cut start. Sandvik make a cnmg insert with a 45 degree corner on it, never used it though. An snmg or button tool were my first choice. I’ve also used a small 45 degree inserted, shanked milling cutter as a boring tool. So much better then any 90 degree or thereabouts tool.
    Well ive gotta figure something out for.monday morning. This is a hot job. Hoping i can figure out the tooling and css to maken it work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nissan300ztt View Post
    Well ive gotta figure something out for.monday morning. This is a hot job. Hoping i can figure out the tooling and css to maken it work
    You've been given the answers with the Tooling you have.

Machine a 45° angle at the entry to the Roughing pass.
    Talk to your people about better Inserts.
    Slow your SFM down to 80.

If the Machine doesn't have the torque at 30-40 RPM, then get the lift truck, haul them bars over to an Engine lathe and start Turning them down to a usable Diameter. If you don'thave a manual lathe that'll do it, haul them over to the Mill and start Milling the diameter. Just get the chips coming off somehow. If the CNC lathe has live tools use them. Maybe start work on the IDs until the Tooling arrives. Can't just stand there with your thumb up your ass.

R

4. Likes nissan300ztt, Matt_Maguire, eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by number 2 View Post
    Sandvik make a cnmg insert with a 45 degree corner on it ...
    I can't imagine a cnmg working well on inconel. I've always used positive rake, sandvik knux inserts worked okay but the edges wear fast.

But if he can't even buy a box of inserts, hell. May as well just close up the shop. That's stupid.

6. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I can't imagine a cnmg working well on inconel. I've always used positive rake, sandvik knux inserts worked okay but the edges wear fast.
    Aside from Ceramic cnmgs are the way to go. on our bigger 20"+ dia parts we ran cnmg643 in h13 cutting half insert width close to 1/2"? with 1/2" round ceramics we were taking .200 depth of cut.
    The pressure that was generated was incredible we were running 100hp-150hp motors on old HES lathes.

Hell my old 1990 hitech 20sII with a 8" chuck was taking .1 DOC on ceramics and about he same with CNMGS.
    one money saving trick with carbide on inconel is you use the cheapest carbide insert you can because its going to chew them up the same no matter what the cost, your going to get the same life.

greenleaf ceramic guy and the sandvick practically lived in our shop. we were Garrett aviation and greenleafs test shop for whisker ceramics on inco waspoly and haynse/mars and a few others ( aka Ballbustrum )

positive rakes work good for finishing only on inco with light finish cuts.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have a live A and/or B axis, do spinning tool roughing. R inserts, coolant, lighter cuts, but more feed. Last liberty is velocity of cut. Once found the right speed, program G96 SXXX just before cut and enjoy.

I agree with the opinion that the setup should be rigid and sound.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah. Im going from 8.05" to 4.01" and then operation 2 is gonna a bore from 2" to 4.20" my boss is gonna hate me. Guess were spending money
    so you're gonna turn it down to 4.01 then bore it to 4.2? I'd say inserts may be the least of yer worries with those dims....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But if he can't even buy a box of inserts, hell. May as well just close up the shop. That's stupid.
    This is the CNMG I refer to:
    Google Image Result for https://image.slidesharecdn.com/56f06b56-0a58-4f76-b76a-7d376519c122-160225030513/95/heat-resistant-super-alloys-application-guide-17-638.jpg?cb=1456371986

If you can’t get a decent doc to work with a regular insert use 75% or there a bouts of the nose radius. More cuts but it will work better.

A 45 degree angle, or some angle less then 90 will make it much more successful.

11. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    You've been given the answers with the Tooling you have.

Machine a 45° angle at the entry to the Roughing pass.
    Talk to your people about better Inserts.
    Slow your SFM down to 80.

If the Machine doesn't have the torque at 30-40 RPM, then get the lift truck, haul them bars over to an Engine lathe and start Turning them down to a usable Diameter. If you don'thave a manual lathe that'll do it, haul them over to the Mill and start Milling the diameter. Just get the chips coming off somehow. If the CNC lathe has live tools use them. Maybe start work on the IDs until the Tooling arrives. Can't just stand there with your thumb up your ass.

R
    100% agreed. I will definitely have an approach monday morning.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These Sandvik CNMX 432 inserts do work on 718. I had good luck with them. Just need to grind a flat on the toolholder's anvil for clearance so the anvil doesn't cut into the work. Also best to reduce feedrate by 50% about 1/8" away from the end of the cut when cutting up to a 90° shoulder.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/65332777
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sandvik-cnmx-insert.jpg  

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Aside from Ceramic cnmgs are the way to go. on our bigger 20"+ dia parts we ran cnmg643 in h13 cutting half insert width close to 1/2"? with 1/2" round ceramics we were taking .200 depth of cut.
    The pressure that was generated was incredible we were running 100hp-150hp motors on old HES lathes.
    Well, I'll take your word for it cuz Garrett does more big inc than me. I'd be pretty nervous about negative rake in inconel but if it comes up again, will give it a try ... next time I have a 100 horse spindle

For smaller stuff, knuxes worked okay. Ate a lot of inserts but worked all right and didn't make the part 800* F

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gurutzbe B1400 is the only up to date-ish CNC Lathe currently on the new market, with 100hp. as an option. Okuma has a VTL with 60.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gurutzbe B1400 is the only up to date-ish CNC Lathe currently on the new market, with 100hp. as an option. Okuma has a VTL with 60.

R
    Bob these were old machines made by HES some of the 1st cncs huge ass numerx control bow about 5 foot tall 3 foot square. if I recall the motors were org 50 or 75hp.
    the shop I worked at put 6" spacers under the head to raise it. and fagor controls.
    we had 2 old ones and one new one( 1991).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'll take your word for it cuz Garrett does more big inc than me. I'd be pretty nervous about negative rake in inconel but if it comes up again, will give it a try ... next time I have a 100 horse spindle

For smaller stuff, knuxes worked okay. Ate a lot of inserts but worked all right and didn't make the part 800* F
    I think you missed the part were I said we cut Inco in hitachi sekie Hi-tech 20sii with a 8" chuck. that was an LM guide machine.
    My Miyano knc 45 cuts inco very well with cnmg432, Last job we did was around 500 pcs 3/4" dia cut to .06-.375 dia with features used less than a box of inserts for rgh and 2 or 3 for finish. held .0003 and 63 or better finish all week long. I did use a coated cnmg for these forget which ones(1025?) but they were cheap sandvicks

positive rake or negitive rake your going through about the same amount of inserts maybe a 10% less but you will save on the cost of inserts in the long run.
    I'm an old school guy I run slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i nailed it.
    I ended up just using standard CNMG 2025 sandviks. Bi thinknit came out well
    And apparently this was "aged" inconel 55 rockwell...from what I was told.
    20191014_131528.jpg

19. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending on what you are actually making, we have done some large inco parts with a lot of turning.
    I normally would use an snmg and form a 44degree angle. Call a cnmg up and remove the angle the snmg has produced to desired profile. Speed low, Feed high.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i nailed it.
    I ended up just using standard CNMG 2025 sandviks. Bi thinknit came out well
    And apparently this was "aged" inconel 55 rockwell..
    Love it when people follow up.

R

22. Likes nissan300ztt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love it when people follow up.

R
    Yeah. Now im in the process of boring it. Thats cutting easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ive used cnmg on 625/718 and was having allsorts of issues with the insert chipping at the DOC line. didnt matter the feedrate or css. eventually i ended up going with .03 shallow DOC but at .060/rev feed at 150sfm...got 3 times the life out of the insert and shaved 4 minute off the cycle time

25. Likes nissan300ztt, Fancuku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All bored to size. .001" under size, within tolerance.
    Bored from 1.3" to 5.526" at the large radius.
    20191015_130049.jpg