What's new
What's new

Controlling the handle with a dc motor

abojiuc

Plastic
I have a milling machine (Bridgeport Series I, 2 HP), and I want to turn it into a CNC. So far my best idea is to add a high torque DC motor to each handle to control them. Would this be a good start? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

I have a milling machine (Bridgeport Series I, 2 HP), and I want to turn it into a CNC. So far my best idea is to add a high torque DC motor to each handle to control them. Would this be a good start? Or is there a better way?

Considered something like a Centroid conversion package?

The problem isn't so much the controller its using the right motor.
I was thinking to use the servo motors already on the machines, but I can't figure out what the 7 pins are for.

IMG_8723.jpgIMG_8724.jpgIMG_8722.jpg

If a Google search does not get you there, you could always just test it with a meter.

This appears to be a DC brushed servo motor, with tachometer speed feedback. Therefore it needs:
- Two wires for armature power
- Two wires for tachometer feedback
- One wire for case ground
- Optionally, two wires for a holding brake

Make yourself a 7x7 data table, and measure and record the resistance between each pair of pins.

The pair that have between 1 and 5 Ohms between them are probably armature power.
The pair that have somewhat higher resistance (maybe a few tens of Ohms, maybe a few hundred) are probably the tachometer
The one that does not connect to any of the others, but connects to the motor case, is ground.

If you can turn the shaft by hand with no power applied, then the motor does not have a brake. If you cannot, then it probably does.
A pair of pins that lead to the brake would probably have higher resistance than the tachometer pair.

It is possible that the armature power leads are doubled: two pins to one side, and two pins to the other. In that case you will see two pairs that have nearly zero resistance within the pair, and between 1 and 5 ohms to either of the other pair.

If you cannot find data on the Anilam servos then try SEM. It is highly likely that they are relabeled SEM brushed servo motors.
http://www.servodynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MT-30.pdf
M4 59 seems likely.
The encoders on the ones I have are 1000 cpr.
If you rely on the machine for income then go buy a controller package that drops into place and comes with either good install instructions of installation.
If you don't need income or can delay a while then consider Mach or linuxcnc. It all depends on what you want and your timeline.
Good luck.

Back