What's new
What's new

Coolant: emulsifiers going bad?

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1,232
G

A little back-story. When I put my Chevalier VMC on the floor, I charged it with Oemeta Novamet 100. The rep comped me 2 pails to try out. The first pail was from Western's stock, the other was an older one the rep had at his house. Since it was only in one machine that doesn't get used every day, that first pail lasted most of a year. The pail I used was the one from Western- that coolant is still in the machine and it's still nice and fresh.

I'm about out of my old coolant, so I decided to change out the VF2 to Oemeta this week. I opened the second pail that the rep gave me and mixed up 5 gallons, but it looked funny. The color was wrong, it didn't have the fresh smell I was expecting, and it didn't mix up very well. I dumped that bucket in the machine, and went to do another bucket- same thing.

So I set it aside overnite. Next morning it was completely separated out- the concentrate all sitting on the top in a bright red slick, and what looked like mud-puddle water underneath. So I dumped it, cleaned out the sump and brought in come fresh concentrate. The new coolant is fine and I finished up what I had started.

I'll have the rep come in and pick up the bad stuff in case they want to check it out. The pail was unopened when I started- still had the factory seal on the cap so it wasn't contaminated in my shop. But it was old- a year in my shop and who knows how long in the reps garage...

I've never seen this happen before, just curious if anyone else has had this experience?

Somewhere along the way, I recall seeing some coolant label that said to protect from freezing. I wonder if that may be what happened?
Could be- I'll check the label. I was thinking it's probably seen a few hundred degree days in it's life as well.

Back