What's new
What's new

Coolant mixer

I worked at one place that used a mixer, but was designed for use with a 5 gallon bucket. Much more portable that way, and cheaper to replace when/if it dies...

Other than that, no help, sorry.

Pour a bit into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Mix with a paint and mud mixer in a cordless drill. Dump into coolant tank.

This is what we use. I can't remember how many years I've had It. Still works like a champ. About $100 cheaper than the one you linked to.

Mini-Jetmix

I can see a coolant mixer coming in as a huge time saver in a big shop with machines all using the same fluid.

Small shops, eh. Just mix it by hand

Pour a bit into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Mix with a paint and mud mixer in a cordless drill. Dump into coolant tank.

That wouldn't have worked at my last shop. We were adding 200 gallons of coolant a day! We had a mixer that pulled coolant from a 55 gallon barrel on wheels with a hose that fed it from a spigot on a pole. We would just wheel the barrel to where the coolant was needed and open the inlet valve to the mixer.

Venturi mixers rely on incoming water pressure, which can fluctuate.

The dropping level of coolant in the drum also affects the mixture.

Mixers going bad after a few years is probably due to contamination. Clean and rebuild.

I worked at one place that used a mixer, but was designed for use with a 5 gallon bucket. Much more portable that way, and cheaper to replace when/if it dies...

Other than that, no help, sorry.

5 gallon buskit model? You remember what brand?

I only buy in 5 gallons...............most mixers are for 55 gallon drums...................anyone know of a bucket model?

I only buy in 5 gallons...............most mixers are for 55 gallon drums...................anyone know of a bucket model? [/B]

The Mini Mixer I linked to earlier Is a bucket model. We just made an adaptor to fit a drum and extended the pickup. Works fine.

PMIS- MIXERS

OIP.jpg

I can see a coolant mixer coming in as a huge time saver in a big shop with machines all using the same fluid.

Small shops, eh. Just mix it by hand

Yeah, every other place I worked we just dumped coolant in a bucket, added water, then cycling it through the machine would mix it well.

Here's my home brew solution to a venturi coolant mixer. I bought a $5 aquarium fish tank venturi pump and added a precision flow metering valve from McMaster Carr and a few fittings. The plastic ball valve that came with the fish pump (in the assembly pictures) was not able to be easily adjusted, but the concept worked great.

Total cost was $70 and it works very well. Been using it for the past year now.

McMaster-Carr

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20190420_152647_resized.jpg
    20190420_152647_resized.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20190420_152655_resized.jpg
    20190420_152655_resized.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190428_111131_resized_1.jpg
    20190428_111131_resized_1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 183
Here's my home brew solution to a venturi coolant mixer. I bought a $5 aquarium fish tank venturi pump and added a precision flow metering valve from McMaster Carr and a few fittings. The plastic ball valve that came with the fish pump (in the assembly pictures) was not able to be easily adjusted, but the concept worked great.

Total cost was $70 and it works very well. Been using it for the past year now.

McMaster-Carr

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the looks('n cost) of that.....................

I use a GROZ and have for years ,,, it works great and I can adjust it to what i need ,,, its not dead nuts on the mix but gets me in the ballpark and I have a easy time keeping the machines between 7 and 9% ,,, I just put a bucket of coolant mix on a cheap little hand cart and drag the hose around the shop ,,,

Back