What's new
What's new

Coolant Mixer for 5 gallon pails?

Liberty_Machine

Aluminum
I don't go through a ton of coolant and I'm limited on space, so I buy my coolant in 5 gallon pails. Yes, it's a bit more expensive per gallon, but floor space and the means to move a 55gal drum around are...limited.

I'm currently just pouring it into my bucket of water and mixing with a plastic stick. It works, but I'd like a better way. I know that Fastenal sells a drum mixer, but I'm looking for something similar that would fit on a 5gal pail lid. Suggestions and comments?

Thanks,

-Seth

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer on my request. Mixing the coolant isn't the direct issue. It's more dispensing it and making sure I've put enough in the bucket. The mixing and proportioning valves work really well for that purpose and eliminate waste and keep things more tidy

Same boat here. I have a graduated 1 gallon jug that I dump the coolant into then dump into my water but it is still a little awkward. I have a bucket pump for gear oil. I wonder if that would work for the coolant? Maybe a bucket pump combined with a measuring cup? My bucket pump came from Harbor Freight but I see they sell them on amazon too.

I don't go through a ton of coolant and I'm limited on space, so I buy my coolant in 5 gallon pails. Yes, it's a bit more expensive per gallon, but floor space and the means to move a 55gal drum around are...limited.

I'm currently just pouring it into my bucket of water and mixing with a plastic stick. It works, but I'd like a better way. I know that Fastenal sells a drum mixer, but I'm looking for something similar that would fit on a 5gal pail lid. Suggestions and comments?

Thanks,

-Seth

I was in the same situation. I'm using the Blaser Minimix. A few pricy but it's worth it. It works fine with low pressure water.

I bolted a drum mixer to the wall and drop a hose into the 5 gallon pail - works great. We even fill hand squirt bottles from it. When doing a complete fill from dry we have run a hose to the machine but that's not frequent.

I bolted a drum mixer to the wall and drop a hose into the 5 gallon pail - works great. We even fill hand squirt bottles from it. When doing a complete fill from dry we have run a hose to the machine but that's not frequent.

And that's where I'm looking to, as I've got a new machine coming in next month and I'd rather not fill up the sump manually.... I know, I'm lazy...

I bought a hex-shanked tool at Home Depot used to mix drywall mud, paint, etc. in 5-gallon pails. It is about 2 feet long and has 2 large disks with holes in them welded to the shank. I last used it to stir driveway sealer and it does a really good job using a 1/2 inch cordless drill. You do need to keep the level below the bucket rim to prevent spills from sloshing.

For you blaser minimax (or similar) fans - how much water pressure do you need? I get deionized water from the grocery store in 5-gallon jugs - which I'm sure contributes to my coolant not smelling too bad lasting for a super long time. But the pressure is whatever head you get by tipping up a carboy sized jug.

IMG_2697[1].jpg
Nothing fancy, just an air regulator set @ 5-10 psi, hose,and plastic drum, and pressure relief valve for safety. Put it on wheels so you can move it from machine to machine.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer on my request. Mixing the coolant isn't the direct issue. It's more dispensing it and making sure I've put enough in the bucket. The mixing and proportioning valves work really well for that purpose and eliminate waste and keep things more tidy

I use a refractometer and a calibrated eye to know the concentration of the coolant.

I bought this after getting tired of mixing coolant with a drill in a bucket.

item detail

I just had to take out the large pour spout on the 5 gallon coolant lid this mixer screwed right in that hole. I also had to cut the tube shorter on the bottom of the mixer (was meant for a 55gal drum). Works great.

I did get it on sale for like $180.

actually I made a ton of these things over three years ago, finally got around to sticking them on eBay for you folks to scoop up. I’ve got a di water system ran to about thirty of these things in my shop. Haven’t poured one pail of coolant since.

Back