What's new
What's new

Coolant that never caused rust, does now?

jdj

Diamond
Using Trim sol at approx. 8% dilution (at the LOW estimate). I have used it and other soluble oil coolants in the past, with no rust issues. The water I have always used is "city" water so it is doubtful that it is a hard-water problem. I mix the coolant INTO THE BUCKET OF WATER, not vice-versa. I use a drill with a paint mixer thing in it to keep the water moving as I pour the soluble oil coolant, in. Rust spots all of a sudden on the machine, just overnight! WTF?

Jeff

Bacteria?

Had this happen to me.

It was suggested that a build-up of bacteria have caused my coolant to get acidic. I was told to check the pH.

The coolant was getting pretty old and nasty, so I just dumped it, cleaned the tank and machine, and started fresh.

How old is it?

I have ran the same coolant for <20 yrs and only time I have seen any rust on the machine was when I had skimmed the tank a LOT - in a machine that gets all the old junk poured into it.

I drain all my chips and return to the tank, and the coolant doesn't look quite the same after draining through the chips, especially SS. It comes out that neon type color.

The rest of the machines have never shown not one bit of rust from this stuff, which is 100% the reason that I switched to it to begin with, and why I have not switched away.

This is the "old skewl" just plain SOL right?
Or the newer stuff?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah OX, it's the plain old Trim sol, hasn't been in the machine for more than 6 months, if that. When you count how often I have to add some (because of leaks and such) it is mostly not even that old. I am going to try some brand that I used years ago, just to see if that has any effect.

Jeff

Had this happen to me.

It was suggested that a build-up of bacteria have caused my coolant to get acidic. I was told to check the pH.

The coolant was getting pretty old and nasty, so I just dumped it, cleaned the tank and machine, and started fresh.

That sounds fairly believable to me.
I am sure that I will have to clean out the tank before too long.

Jeff

Had a problem like this after cutting Graphite, we were using a VF4 to grind Quartz and made some welding fixtures out of graphite, Next day the machine was orange.

Had a problem like this after cutting Graphite, we were using a VF4 to grind Quartz and made some welding fixtures out of graphite, Next day the machine was orange.

I certainly haven't done that!
One other thing about it that you all may have surmised, is that the coolant isn't turning into oil after setting on the machine surfaces the way it used to. Wish I knew why!

Jeff

Get a little out of the machine and try hand tapping some steel with it, that will tell you a lot about its properties.

I certainly haven't done that!
One other thing about it that you all may have surmised, is that the coolant isn't turning into oil after setting on the machine surfaces the way it used to. Wish I knew why!

Jeff

High humidity = low evap?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would figure that it "split" or separated, so I tried some liquid dish soap in it, no dice. It LOOKS as if it is still mixed, but...

Jeff

Could be bad water, bad batch of coolant, or existing coolant going bad such that it won't mix with the new stuff.

Call Master Chemical and see if they're willing to test your water, new coolant and old coolant. Record the batch # from the new pail/drum.

We switched to RO water years ago. "City" water is not to be trusted. The fact that it's potable has no bearing on its usefulness as a machine coolant.

Could be bad water, bad batch of coolant, or existing coolant going bad such that it won't mix with the new stuff.

Call Master Chemical and see if they're willing to test your water, new coolant and old coolant. Record the batch # from the new pail/drum.

You know, I did have a funny feeling about THIS 5 gallon pail of Trim sol, it just seemed a little different from the others. The "Trim sol" scent was less prominent.

Jeff

Did you pee in it???

Trim Sol is one of those big dogs in the coolant business? Right? You can't order a case of toilet paper and bucket of floor wax with Trim-Sol, can you???

If you're having a problem, odds are they will test your stuff for free, they want happy customers.

Something has changed, did the city start adding some crap to the water.

If you have employees, especially a new one, you might have your culprit. Urine, semen, tobacco spit, that last little warm bit of Coca Cola. Soaps, bleaches, tapping fluids can throw your stuff out of whack also. Is the janitor dumping his mop bucket in the machine??

If you are using a quality coolant, you can rarely blame it on the coolant, its usually something stupid.

Bob - there is at least one item in that list that I sure as heck hope is NOT in that coolant! :eek: :ack2: :vomit:

He's in Michigan. Detroit even worse.

I doubt that the city "added" enything new to the mix. Maybe not added something that they should have, or maybe not taken out something that they should have, but I bet agginst "adding something new". :o

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Bob - there is at least one item in that list that I sure as heck hope is NOT in that coolant! :eek: :ack2: :vomit:

Hey Ox, my business partner's sister, she did a stint as an intern 20 years or so back. Large manufacturing company, coolant went to shit. They couldn't figure out why, after months and months and tests and tests and tests and tests. It was baby batter. Apparently some guys just think (especially on 3rd shift) that titanium is really that sexy.

I have no comment beyond that it did happen and could happen again, and the quantities were such that it wasn't just one person. But apparently the coolant didn't like it, but the bacteria did.

Hey Ox, my business partner's sister, she did a stint as an intern 20 years or so back. Large manufacturing company, coolant went to shit. They couldn't figure out why, after months and months and tests and tests and tests and tests. It was baby batter. Apparently some guys just think (especially on 3rd shift) that titanium is really that sexy.

I have no comment beyond that it did happen and could happen again, and the quantities were such that it wasn't just one person. But apparently the coolant didn't like it, but the bacteria did.

Ok.... WHO asked the guys for a sample of their stinky coolant, I can see how that might just get a little bit misconstrued.

...even by a President. :D

It is (thank God) pretty unlikely that anyone put something nasty in it. It could be done, but not many suspects or opportunities for them to do it. Not that it would take a long time to spit in it!

Jeff

Trim Sol is one of those big dogs in the coolant business? Right? You can't order a case of toilet paper and bucket of floor wax with Trim-Sol, can you???

If you are using a quality coolant, you can rarely blame it on the coolant, its usually something stupid.

Yes, Trim sol is one of the big dogs and to be clear, I am not necessarily blaming Trim sol, just saying that is what I am (says on the label anyways!) using and HAVE used.

Jeff

Back