What's new
What's new

Coolant operation - pumps on, no flow: other interlocks? Matsuura

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I have a matsuura MC760

I just reconnected the coolant system after transport. I put enough fluid to cover the end of the inlet of the pump. I run M8 and I can hear the pump turn on but I don't get any fluid out of the nozzles at the cutter.
There are on/off valves at the flex tube at the cutters, those are on.
Is there something else that needs to be 'active' to allow coolant to get to the nozzle?
Do I need to perform some sort of bleeding/priming of the pump?
I tried to reverse two of the phases to see if it was spinning backwards, no change.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
David

On one our machines(Not a Matsuura), we have to prime the pump.

On ours there is a 12mm wide (or so) set screw that can be removed, then fill that with coolant.

Obviously you know as mentioned to make sure the motor is turning in the correct direction.

On one our machines(Not a Matsuura), we have to prime the pump.

On ours there is a 12mm wide (or so) set screw that can be removed, then fill that with coolant.

Obviously you know as mentioned to make sure the motor is turning in the correct direction.

Ah cool, yeah there is a large hex screw in the top. Ill try that, thanks!!

I just installed a DMG machine here that sat for some years. It had the same problem, there was a spring loaded check valve in the coolant block at the spindle. It was gummed up. I had to heat it up and blow air from the pump side.

If you reversed rotation and that did not fix it, you may have a gob of crap stuck in the plumbing somewhere. There is probably a check valve in the path- check that and then just work backwrd or forward from the pump until you figure it out.

Hello,
I have a matsuura MC760

I just reconnected the coolant system after transport. I put enough fluid to cover the end of the inlet of the pump. I run M8 and I can hear the pump turn on but I don't get any fluid out of the nozzles at the cutter.
Might try a little more fluid. Just covering the inlet isn't really enough. Centrifugal pumps usually self-prime, but it could be pulling the level down and sucking air.

I'd try running a hose into a bucket of water just to make sure...

Thank you all, I got it working:
Pulling the vent set screw on the top of the neck right before the pump allowed me to pour fluid into the pump (that seemed to prime it).
I set my phases back to the original connected U-V-W rotation and it worked when I turned it on. I topped off the coolant tray and it seems to be up and running.

Back