What's new
What's new

coolant pump problem - 3 phase?

metal-ica

Cast Iron
I have a KIAturn 15LMS and the coolant pump went out.

I think it's just the motor not spinning fast enough as I can get it to pump maybe a gallon a minute with low pressure. The motor is 1/2 hp, 1410 / 1700 rpms. I don't have a way to check the RPMs but visually it looks much slower than that. I took apart the pump portion and nothing looks obviously wrong.

The dealer wants almost $3k for the this assembly.

First question would be does anyone know of a direct aftermarket replacement for this pump?

Second question is the motor says "three phase induction motor" 200/220v but it only has two wires + a ground coming out of it. I thought 3 phase meant three wires plus ground.

Should I just bend over and pay the $3k?

Any help is appreciated.

Throw up some pictures of the motor/pump setup including nameplates and mounting flanges, as well as how it's wired if you can. It's hard to give somebody replacement information with what you've provided.

I'd pay to get the motor rewound before shelling out 3k. That's nuts! Do lots n lots of research. Ebay and so on. And double check that wiring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

could be 1 of 3 things 1 you quick connect ice clogged at the pump. 2 there is a extremely fine filter in the tank that needs regular cleaning. 3 the pump has lost prime.if this is the case than back at the pump there is a tall pipe. remove the top cap, and fill with water . then quickly cap it and turn on the pump.

also if it is a single phase motor there should be a starter capacitor. that capacitor could be bad.

have you looked at the motor contactor to see how many wires are coming out of it? those connections dont look factory. as they normally have a terminal block and wires with terminal lugs bolted to the terminal block ?

I don't understand the 2 wires and three-phase. As far as a replacement or rewind the best/cheapest rout is to find a pump/motor that will work and get it. Way faster and cheaper, been there done that. Grundfos makes some damn good pumps if you want to upgrade your coolant supply. Or you can go the dirt-cheap rout and get a Greymills, made in China, from Global Supply, once you figure out what you need. I went with the Greymills 8 years ago and it is still working fine.

OK, the black wire coming from the motor isn't a ground...it's the third leg. I have 208v coming from the control. I'm going to start looking around. I'm Scandinavian so maybe a Grundfos is in order but I also just bought two machines and I'm broke so a greymills might have to do and if lasts ten years it will probably outlast this machine.

This thing would work, right?

McMaster-Carr

My pump says 2.6A and this only draws 1.8A.

I know just enough about electrical to get me into trouble.

Thanks for the help

This thing would work, right?

McMaster-Carr

My pump says 2.6A and this only draws 1.8A.

I know just enough about electrical to get me into trouble.

Thanks for the help

That will likely have a plastic impeller which will not tolerate chips much.

Before you panic and put on a different pump, I would verify that the line to the machine is not plugged. Also make sure that the pump intake is not restricted. Also make sure that there is not some foreign crap in the pump locking the impeller.

One final thing. These small pumps do occasionally get air bound and won't pump. Loosening the outlet fitting will often bleed enough air off to get it pumping again.

That will likely have a plastic impeller which will not tolerate chips much.

Before you panic and put on a different pump, I would verify that the line to the machine is not plugged. Also make sure that the pump intake is not restricted. Also make sure that there is not some foreign crap in the pump locking the impeller.

One final thing. These small pumps do occasionally get air bound and won't pump. Loosening the outlet fitting will often bleed enough air off to get it pumping again.

I've done all of that.

Was your flow tapering off over time recently? How deep did you tear into the pump to check condition? Is there a filter installed in that bowl/did you inspect/change the filter? Have you inspected the suction line from the tank (is there a suction strainer or potential blockage at that point?)

If you find out you need just a motor, something like McMaster 6136K111 or a close three phase 200/208 equivalent will work. Just need to verify your replacement motor flange will work with the coupling/bell-housing setup you have. Grundfos would be the gold standard for this application but it's overkill.

I would definitely troubleshoot some more before ordering any parts.

Second question is the motor says "three phase induction motor" 200/220v but it only has two wires + a ground coming out of it. I thought 3 phase meant three wires plus ground.

Should I just bend over and pay the $3k?

Yes, three phase means 3 HOT wires plus ground is 4 wires. How many hot wires in the conduit leading up to the motor? Ground wire on Japanese machines is usually striped green and yellow.

Grundfos pumps are good quality and you can pick them up for about $500.

......I think it's just the motor not spinning fast enough as I can get it to pump maybe a gallon a minute with low pressure. The motor is 1/2 hp, 1410 / 1700 rpms. I don't have a way to check the RPMs but visually it looks much slower than that. I took apart the pump portion and nothing looks obviously wrong.......

Harbor Freight sells a cheap digital phototachometer. IIRC I paid ~$30 with some kind of discount coupon. It is surprisingly good for occasional use.

From the picture, it looks like some kind of vane type pump. Either sliding vane or flex impeller. IMO, not the best choice of pump design for machine tool coolant. Is my suspicion correct? A better choice would be a submerged impeller multi-stage centrifugal pump. Grundfos make an excellent product....

MTR/SPK/MTH/MTA multistage centrifugal pump - cooling lubricants | Grundfos

Back