What's new
What's new

Coolant refractometers

Mark Hockett

Aluminum
In the interest of maintaining better control of my coolant percentage I bought a refractometer. I would like some help on converting the Brix% to the coolant%. I am using Valcool VNT650CF. Valenite recommends a mixture of 4% to 6.7%. The last reading I got with the refractometer was 4 on the Brix% scale. I think there is a conversion factor but I don't know what that is.

In the past I have always just mixed the coolant up and poured it in the machine so I'm kind of ignorant on this refractometer stuff.

Thanks,

Mark Hockett
Island Tech Enterprises
Clinton, WA 98236
360-914-6026

More chip less lip

I think the brix is the same as coolant mixture. I use hangsteffer S500. All my workers who are from all other types of machine shops say my coolant is the best they ever used. In brass I run 4%. Steel 4-6. Stainless and alum 6%. Paying close attention to your coolant really helps tool life. I am even thinking about filtering out all the minerals from the water before mixing it. I all looking at .5 micron filter. What micron rating do you guys use???

You could mix up a small, accurately proportioned fresh sample, and take a test reading of what it is. Write it on the wall :D

fmari;
a half a micron?
ive used 10 micron filters as a initial filter and 5 micron filters as a final filter and had trouble with them stopping up, however i was machining optical glass and the swarf stopped everything up.
but .5 micron filters seems awfully tight to me...jim

Like famari said :"I am even thinking about filtering out all the minerals from the water before mixing it" The last place I worked had about 35 machines mostly cnc. We used Valenite for about 2 years. It worked well on Ti and Inconel. Soft water and de-ionized water was finally used because of leaking oil from the machines. Watch the Ph also. I'll bet the vendor will work with you. None of ours had filters and the coolant pans were exposed to open air. Good luck. -BW-

Thanks for the replies. I called Valenite and they said the conversion factor is 1 for that coolant. So my Brix% being at 4 meant the coolant was at 4%. I am running a 316 stainless job so I bumped the % up 6. My lathe has such a small coolant tank I have to add coolant every day.

Thanks,
Mark

How many gallons does your Haas hold Mark?
My SL 10 holds I think 15 gal. I've had to add some every other day or so in this heat.
Was over a hunnert degrees in the shop last weekend.

Water quality makes a huge difference. I didn't believe it until I saw it. Many backwoods shops in Upstate NY use a deionizor to prepare their water. This keep the foam and rust down. I have seen coolant last over a year in some shops. Of course watching the refractometer, and topping off your mixture everyday with a make up solution is very important. You should always add some coolant mixture to the water when making up for lost fluid. Even if it's 1%. This helps hold the coolant molecules together. Also, skimming the top to keep tramp oil off is very important. When the tramp oil covers the top, it allows anarobic bacteria to grow. That's when you get the Monday morning blues.

Back