What's new
What's new

Lathe titanium

What feeds and speeds should i use for roughing out titanium on a tormach lathe

I have a project that is made from a piece of titanium that I started a long time ago. I am still thinking of the best way to do the rest of the machining without ruining the piece, and I graduated from machine tool operation in 1987.
Titanium can be troublesome to machine.

You will need rigid set-ups ,sharp carbide cutters, support for deflection, proper plan of attack,etc.

Try to make it out of brass or aluminum first, and if that goes well try to use titanium.

What feeds and speeds should i use for roughing out titanium on a tormach lathe

Plenty of Water and Sunlight, the Ti needs a healthy environment. OH!!, that machine might be the wrong environment. Ti wants to be loved and respected, so that means use REAL machinery. I wouldn't like it if someone tried to Machine me with that toy, would you?

R

depends on your tooling, see what the insert manufacturer recommends and err on the conservative side. I would start off with doc = to nose radius see how it reacts and adjust accordingly, and make sure plenty of flood coolant gets to the tool tip. I've seen videos of those tormach slants and it looks like it just has a single flood nozzle mounted to the enclosure. if thats your case I would cobble up a hose to that coolant to a mount on the tool holder so it stays spraying the tool not just peeing on the part. turning titanium is not too difficult with the right inserts, just beware drilling and tapping. imho turning is the easiest of machining operations for titanium . my go to insert for 6al4v ti is a seco cnmg 432-mr3 cp200. btw the control on those looks pretty sweet.

Back