What's new
What's new

Corner Rounding End Mills

Selvidge209

Plastic
How would you guys go about touching off a .02 corner rounding endmill? The shank is .125 in diameter. Programming on a Mazak Nexus 510C-II with a Mazatrol Matrix Nexus control.

Touch off tool tip and offset down in the toolpath. NEVER a good idea to start touchin off tools and offsetting them down. Like, don't touch a 1/2" ball end mill off on the gauge and then offset down .25 inches to set it to the center of the ball.

Good way to scrap shit

Touch off like any tool and comp the .005" tip extension on my Harvey .02" corner rounder. I find comping the tool to be better than programming it in, for one thing, it is way easier to remember.

If it's an outside profile, use a .002 feeler guage to get Z0 to it's actual cut depth. Set a diameter offset so you can creep in to get the maximum radius cut. Add a lead in/ lead out or start and end off a corner.

I have used internal tool rad cutters stats and an optical comparator to check what my tool dia should be and depth of cut. Touch off the tool like normal and let the comps do their work. I am a die maker, so I have the luxury of being allowed to hand work my rads in after so the die goes together and the part comes out right.

I just model the compensation point in CAM, then start with a thousandth or two stock to leave and walk it in on the control on a scrap piece. Then modify the stock to leave settings in CAM, lock them in, and make notes for that tool in my tool library.

...then I forget to remove the comp from the control and scrap the first part. Every. Time.

Back