What's new
What's new

Corona virus going to drop some machine prices?

Unahorn

Aluminum
Was just curious peoples thoughts about dealer lowering prices to entice some sales? Or has the sales maintained even through all the chaos? Are you holding off purchases cause of the current situation?

Haas is already extending some of their sales and attributing it to "helping" due to CV-19.

If this goes on too long then indeed there may be a collapse of both new and used machine prices. For those shops that survive or are able to latch onto the free money that'll be coming to the connected, it'll be good times.

For the rest of us, not so much.

Plenty of sales going on in China right now. Even Bungler King and Mickey D are joining in. I'm having a hard time restraining the assistant .... 50% off ! 50% off !

Yeah, so when was the last time you really needed an elephant foot umbrella stand ?

Ford is giving away free cars for three months.
No payments and you get a brand new car for zero and no payments for the next three months, zero, zip.
Must be a hook like sign your life on the line.
Bob

My salesman from Ellison called today out of the blue telling me they had great deals on everything. Same salesman who blew the $25K 4th axis deal with me by playing hardball when I had already let them waste a month of my time. I bought elsewhere. Figured I would never be hearing from them again. Said it was the end of the fiscal year sale or something.

I've noticed machine tool sales guys really coming out of the woodwork now. Emailing. Calling. "Great deals on everything".

Used machine tool prices will take a hit for sure if this goes on much longer. Deals on new machines will probably be limited to existing inventory. I don't see corporate dropping machine tool prices too much. They will lay off and shutter factories before that.

We are already in a machine tool sales slump and I don't think machine tools are significantly less expensive.

Yeah, probably, but machine tools are not perishable. And they are not hugely massively profitable. You still have to pay for all your pieces and parts, selling them for half price means you are going broke

Was just curious peoples thoughts about dealer lowering prices to entice some sales? Or has the sales maintained even through all the chaos? Are you holding off purchases cause of the current situation?

Depends on who you are talking to. Deliveries to machine tool builders are going to start being affected by lack of parts from China. This could straighten out before it has a major influence here but all guess work right now. Higher tech machines are moving that remove manpower as people look at ways to be more adaptable for future economic scenarios.

Methods just pulled out of IMTS because they are too busy with all the new orders from medical companies to fulfill their customers needs and do the show.

I think the machine tool industry was slowing a lot before the China virus, as for the price on new machines they well drop some so they can try and get you to buy there brand and not brand X ,, but I think the real deals are going to be the dumping of used machines on the market,
I have been watching a local sale on a vf2 for about a month and well its not a screaming deal it would have sold in hours a year ago . I am about to contact the guy and low ball it ,,, over the years I have picked up some machines DIRT cheap when the shop is closing down and they need to get out from under paying rent.

Actually business is picking up, in general, across the country. Medical + all Sorta of other industries as we are sorting out where parts will be made.
DMG Mori also pulled out of IMTS and McCormick will be a hospital by end of April. So depends how long this lasts. But we are thinking a huge upswing for manufacturing after we stabilize. Stay safe guys (gals)

If 2008 was any guide, it'll definitely happen, but probably not this year. The thing that really cuts the legs out from under new machine sales is when companies go under and there are useful used machines available, not just someone's basket case. I feel like 2021 those of us still in business will be able to buy the equipment from those of us not still in business for pennies on the dollar.

Back