What's new
What's new

Cost of large 5-axis mills

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
Good morning,

I had the pleasure of touring a shop that had some super large 5-axis machines...

I was just curious what a ballpark $ amount might be for such a machine?

DMU 125 for example, or an Okuma MU500-V, or a Doosan DVF8000T.

I would guess a DMU125 (EDIT DMU 125 P Duoblock) is like probably $1.2 million but I don't really know if that is TOO high or what. Let's assume each machine is reasonably kitted/optioned.

Thanks!

The DVF8000T, which has turning capabilities, is 750K. that is for 120 tools.

that's a lot of machine for that coin. Heidy 640 FTW. Wonder if they are any good. I know of similar mills for more $ that are great.

I would guess a DMU125 (EDIT DMU 125 P Duoblock) is like probably $1.2 million but I don't really know if that is TOO high or what. Let's assume each machine is reasonably kitted/optioned.

Not exactly sure about the DMU duoblocks.

But at that price I think you're getting into the DMC FD Duoblocks which have turning capability as well as HMC-style twin pallet changers, which are really nice.

Not sure what brand it was, but at my last day job (~8 yrs ago) they landed a big 5 axis machine with a table at floor level about the size of a racquet ball court for 1.2m.

This machine shop has over 20 5-axis machining centers.

Their Zeiss CMM is bigger than my 5-axis Hurco!

Not exactly sure about the DMU duoblocks.

But at that price I think you're getting into the DMC FD Duoblocks which have turning capability as well as HMC-style twin pallet changers, which are really nice.

Yea it wasn't brand new or anything but it looks only a few years old. I didn't realize it was a nutating head machine until I watched some Youtube demos afterwards. That machine is bigger than my living room.

Not sure what brand it was, but at my last day job (~8 yrs ago) they landed a big 5 axis machine with a table at floor level about the size of a racquet ball court for 1.2m.

Yea I have seen some articles in Modern Machine Shop on shops like that, massive 5-axis gantry mills. One shop poured like 6 feet deep of concrete, the machine took months to install. The friggin bed was like built into the foundation. Nothing more rigid than the earth! They practically built the damn machine in the shop lol

that's a lot of machine for that coin. Heidy 640 FTW. Wonder if they are any good. I know of similar mills for more $ that are great.

I'm slightly biased since I work for Doosan. They are exceptional machines for the applied application. And we are selling a lot of them including the DVF6500 and DVF5000. The best control, in my opinion is the HH TNC640.

Sounds like an SNK or a Mighty Viper. :ack2:

I miss big machines, but I sure don't miss the material handling struggles. Sometimes I randomly remember to be grateful that our deburr station doesn't require an overhead crane.

These seem like mid size 5 axis machines.
Big ones for dies are different and you can park your pickup truck on the table and carve all of it.
At this I'd think 500-600k gets you a start. Prices have come down in this size.
Bob

if you're looking at a DVF800 then i'd recommend you check out the Mikron Mill P800, also available with turning. hard to find a better quality machine in that class.

These seem like mid size 5 axis machines.
Big ones for dies are different and you can park your pickup truck on the table and carve all of it.
At this I'd think 500-600k gets you a start. Prices have come down in this size.
Bob

Well, we started with the DMU 125, which is a 1.25 meter machine, but then also roped in those 800mm machines.

There's a pretty serious size change that happens when the pallets get over 630mm. That 125 duoblock is a absolute monster compared to the DVF8000.

I don't think you are going to find any die/mold quality five axis machines that you can park a pickup truck on for anywhere close to 500 or 600k. Even the HAAS gantry/router POS is about 400k when optioned as a five axis.

I'm slightly biased since I work for Doosan. They are exceptional machines for the applied application. And we are selling a lot of them including the DVF6500 and DVF5000. The best control, in my opinion is the HH TNC640.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that FANUC is a better control.

Back