What's new
What's new

Crashed my machine

G8KeaPoR

Aluminum
Not trying to make a duplicate thread but the other was closed for the title. When I bought my machine I remember saying how I was going to be extra careful not to crash my machine. The guy setting it up laughed and assured me not to worry that I would eventually crash it. Well this is what happens when you fat finger the wrong tool height value in your g-code for a tool... You end up rapiding into some 6061 with a 3/8 carbide

View attachment 171018

And that is why you check it once more before hitting go... Lesson learned.

So I checked the spindle for concentricity and swept the table it appears to be ok but I'm not positive. Anything else I can check? Going to order a new indicator cause the one I have is inconsistent.

I ran a test based on what I could find going through the manual. Went through some speeds etc and it doesn't sound bad. The spindle was running at about 6k when it hit the block. As you said time will tell but I hope it's fine. It's a brother s500 that I have only clocked a few hours of actual spindle time on it. I'm hoping the brittleness of the carbide on the roughing endmill caused it to snap before it actually hurt anything.

Yes depends on what machine. With that said if it is anything bigger than hobby grade CNC I would be seriously surprised if that damaged the machine. Pretty minor crash I would say if you can call that a crash. Looks like the X axis faulted out before it got too bad thankfully.

Edit; I see it is a Brothers.

Yeah I talked to the guy at Yamazen (I didn't think they would answer since it was 7:30pm or so) and he pretty much felt the same.

The program had it rapiding down to about .6 above the part before starting to ramp in. The tool height I chose was an inch shorter than the actual tool.

Check the spindle taper/tool holder. If there are no gouges put a new tool and run it.
Not much you can do now.. should be fine. You aren't the first to rapid a tool into a part on a brother.

That's not a crash, that's a hiccup at most, maybe a crunch....

You're going to break bigger endmills than that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Learn from the mistake and keep going. Double check your vise and/or fixture, that might have moved a bit.

When the spindle is on fire sitting in the chip pan.. That's when you worry.

Well the only thing I can say is better it happened now while I'm learning than in the middle of a job. I have time to find out if anything is wrong with it and get it fixed before then.

Well the only thing I can say is better it happened now while I'm learning than in the middle of a job. I have time to find out if anything is wrong with it and get it fixed before then.

Don't worry, it'll happen again in the middle of a job.. Several times.. Probably many times, just hopefully not
very often.

This isn't the last time you are going to crunch something or break an endmill. You might want to go and put a ding or
two in your vises and one on the table, just because that WILL happen, and you might as well get it out of the way in a
controlled manner.

it happens

I catch my self way to often loading a program, Watching my first Rapids and Walking away all because I have to much confidence in my Cam system which is a bad habit I have yet to break my self of When I long hand Programs IM nerves and very cautious of every line

Bottom Line Never let your guard down because its not only The machine that could be damaged Its also your self and near by co workers That could be hit by a tool holder or part.

Better to smack into 6061 than steel.

The operator at the place I worked at had a G92 crash.

Carbide insert mill welded itself to a steel fixture.

Changed the fuse, started her up and continued on as if nothing had happened. (A Makino 40 x 20).

3/8 em straight down in Z? I bet it's fine. Seriously, though, I like keeping the block next to machine as a reminder for when you think you're good enough to not use the "dry run" mode button!

Better to smack into 6061 than steel.

The operator at the place I worked at had a G92 crash.

Carbide insert mill welded itself to a steel fixture.

Changed the fuse{AND UNDERWEAR}, started her up and continued on as if nothing had happened. (A Makino 40 x 20).

I was running a 50taper mori in 1995. Crusty 6m control would double the TLO if you restarted the program at the toolchange if you didn't hit RESET...not once.. but TWICE:angry::willy_nilly:

Yes i friction welded a 1.25 insert cutter to the vise. handle jogged up with a TINK sound. Nobody warned me about that one.

Bigger and more powerful machines rip the keys off the spindle and friction weld the tool into the spindle...
Oh what fun cleaning up the mess when you finally get the tool out without destroying the spindle in the process.
I've been the clean up guy waaay too many times over the years.

I have yet to see see a set of spindle bearings on a mill trashed from a crash.

Lead screw support bearings on larger grinders is another matter all together.

Bill

That block and what is left of the endmill belongs on a "wall of shame"! There will be others much worse that will follow.

I like the excuse from the operator that blames the machine for throwing the part at him. I respond "You are supposed to tighten the vice BEFORE you push the green button, not after."

....I have yet to see see a set of spindle bearings on a mill trashed from a crash.

A couple times I have seen mills that whined badly after a crash. New or rebuilt spindles were needed soon in those cases.

Most of the time the spindle seems fine or is fine after a crash that doesn't pull the tool out of the taper.

Most crashes take a toll on spindle life. I've seen that in multi machine cells several times. Talk to the operators when replacing a spindle in the cell for the first time and most of the time they'll tell you that the machine was crashed, or was crashed more than the others in the cell.

Back