What's new
What's new

CRT Monitor - Fanuc OM

ROY_WERNER

Plastic
Have a problem!
See picture. Is this a monitor issue or is it the graphic?
(I did swap the graphic card, monitor gave same issue….)
The monitor “mosaic” is static while powering up the machine
PXL_20210111_192021596.MP.jpg

Likely to be the MEM board. You should do a complete backup of programs offsets, parameters and diagnostics. That may not be possible. Depending on the urgency of getting the machine back to normal, and the cost of repair, you have several options.

Likely to be the MEM board. You should do a complete backup of programs offsets, parameters and diagnostics. That may not be possible. Depending on the urgency of getting the machine back to normal, and the cost of repair, you have several options.

This problem came after memory replacement (replaced mem chips). That due to the problem restoring original parameters and diagnostics (problem loading 900 parm)
After inputting the 900 parameter machine always got the mem error (911 Alarm)

This problem came after memory replacement (replaced mem chips). That due to the problem restoring original parameters and diagnostics (problem loading 900 parm)
After inputting the 900 parameter machine always got the mem error (911 Alarm)

So you removed and replaced the memory chips on the board? Were the new chips the same speed as the original? I was told by a Fanuc tech years ago that one can use faster memory chips, but not slower. The speed is indicated by the dash number on the chip.

Did you verify that the cables are connected to the mem board correctly? IIRC, both connectors (CCX5 and M3) are the same so a mix-up would be possible.

So you removed and replaced the memory chips on the board? Were the new chips the same speed as the original? I was told by a Fanuc tech years ago that one can use faster memory chips, but not slower. The speed is indicated by the dash number on the chip.

Did you verify that the cables are connected to the mem board correctly? IIRC, both connectors (CCX5 and M3) are the same so a mix-up would be possible.

Hi! Sorry for the delay from my side :)
Yes, mem-chip replaced. Same speed as originals. And connections verified OK.
(Monitor was OK before mem-chip replaced. Never had issues)

Latest update:
1. Replaced the mem-card with a new one - same rev. no. as original (used - from ebay)
2. Replaced the Graphics card with new one (used - from ebay)

I do notice that the monitor is static. No change when switching between screens (diag/setting/param etc...)

Monitor next?

I have replaced a couple of monitors with LED monitors. Look on fleabay for A611-0001-0093 LED replacements. Usually under two hundred bucks. Yeah, cheap Chinese crap, but they seem to hold up.

I have replaced a couple of monitors with LED monitors. Look on fleabay for A611-0001-0093 LED replacements. Usually under two hundred bucks. Yeah, cheap Chinese crap, but they seem to hold up.

Thanks alphonso!
So it's my monitor you think?

I would suspect connections to monitor first. Then play with setting pots. If that doesn't do it, I would seriously consider a replacement. Any old school TV repair people in your neck of the woods? Might have more expertise than me.

Any thoughts around that the screen is static even though I switch between modes? No change in the "mosaic image"?

That really looks like a digital issue.

Those 9" crt units are basic analogue vga signal level devices. That really doesn't look like a typical cable or crt issue.

I wonder if the parameters are set for a different screen / lcd or something?

Maybe a stupid question, but no chance the cables might have got mixed up at the control and plugged into the wrong ports?

I agree with Grego. Replacing a CRT with LCD or what have you it usually is not a plug and play situation.
I am not familiar with Fanuc, but there maybe a connection where the video comes out of the "brain box" where you can temp hook up a regular computer monitor. This would enable you to see if it is just a bad CRT, and possibly get to system diagnostics. You may need to change some bios settings if applicable (again don't know the soft/hardware setup on Fanuc.
If you want some more help PM me I have been down this road on a siemens control, changed out CRT for touch screen.
Best of luck,
D

That really looks like a digital issue.

Those 9" crt units are basic analogue vga signal level devices. That really doesn't look like a typical cable or crt issue.

I wonder if the parameters are set for a different screen / lcd or something?

Maybe a stupid question, but no chance the cables might have got mixed up at the control and plugged into the wrong ports?

Parameter for CRT not changed. Monitor became like this after first boot after replacing the mem-board.
Cables verified - OK.
I'm also leaning to a digital issue (I've replaced mem-card and graphic-card) No change....

Latest update....

My main board is A20B-2000-0170/03B
When powering up the machine the following LED status on main board is:
L1 Blinking Green
L2 Blinking Red
L4 On Red

mainboard.jpg

Here is the definitions of the LEDs on the main board for a 0C.

View attachment 312595

Thanks Vancbiker :)

L1 - OK
L2 - Not able to read Alarm no. on CRT :D
L4 - Points to issue with Main- or memory card...

Problem started with Alarm 911 RAM PARITY ERROR.
1. Did the Clear Memory procedure. After entering the 900 prm manually -> Alarm 911 back on....
2. Replaced memory chips on mem card (identical chips)
3. When powering up 1st time after installing mem-card with new mem-chips - > CRT messed up
4. Replaced graphic card (2nd hand from eBay) -> same CRT issue
5. Replaced mem-card (2nd hand from eBay) -> same CRT issue

If I follow the flow chart in manual B–61395E/06, - "6.8 NO DISPLAY APPEARS ON THE SCREEN WHEN THE POWER IS SWITCHED ON"
I end up in path (1) in page one that leads me to L4 lit -> "The memory card is not inserted cor-rectly. Insert it cor-rectly."

Feels like a dead loop :willy_nilly:

1.jpg 2.JPG

A couple of things to consider.

If you put it back to the original configuration does it revert back to the original problem? This will help to determine where the problem may lie.

Silly question but when you changed memory boards you did swap over the EPROMS for the ladder, firmware, exc. right?

A couple of things to consider.

If you put it back to the original configuration does it revert back to the original problem? This will help to determine where the problem may lie.

Silly question but when you changed memory boards you did swap over the EPROMS for the ladder, firmware, exc. right?

Thanks Hardplates,

First Q.
No it does not.

Second Q.
Not a silly question :) I've not swaped any thing. Just replaced mem-card as is.....
Is'nt Ladder, firmvare exc etc. om the PMC card??

Back