What's new
What's new

Current model Hurco control versus lower end Fanuc with CAD/CAM ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm talking current model Hurco with most desirable control options versus current Fanuc 0iF control. Does the Hurco have anything magical that couldn't be obtained in a $10K CAD/CAM package for use with the Fanuc ? If not, it seems like it comes down to programming at the control versus programming at a desk.... or saving $10,000.....yea or ne ?

I assume you're talking a VMC?
Never ran a Hurco, but I've heard stories on here from a few people that they just have no balls at all.

$10k can get you quite a lot when it comes to Cad/Cam though. But then if you go with Fanuc and you're cutting at high feedrates you might need the 400 block look-ahead and things like that for accuracy.

IMO, programming at the machine is nowhere near as comfortable as programming at a desk. Why tie up a $100k machine to use it for programming. Yes, supposedly one can keep the machine running while programming but it is not conducive to doing ones best at both simultaneously.

With a separate CAD-CAM you can easily upgrade to a newer version that may offer advanced capabilities. Not sure about Hurco in specific, but none of the conversational controls I have experience are easily upgraded. In 10-15 years you will still be using the same old stuff.

The biggest strengths of the Hurco control are actually nothing to do with the conversational programming. We use ours with CAM exclusively and they are immeasurably more pleasant to use than Fanuc.

Hurco has massively more memory, way better tool management, fantastic probing cycles, about the best verification graphics in the industry, the best cycle interrupt function bar none, far superior error checking, massive look-ahead, fast processing speed... I could go on.

The advantages a Fanuc has over Winmax are reliability (by virtue of not being built on top of fucking Windows) and cost. It is worse by every other metric that I can think of right now.

The advantages a Fanuc has over Winmax are reliability (by virtue of not being built on top of fucking Windows)

I dunno about you but the Okuma controls are on top of Windows and are rock solid in my experience.

Absolutely zero issues with their controls reliability-wise and I've been running them since the mid 90's.

Maybe Hurco has issues because it's on Windows? I wouldn't be able to answer that.

And with Fanuc, you know what you're getting. They're proven solid. But I honestly dread the Fanuc control, with a passion.

After a bad experience with a Mazatrol Matrix which ran over Windoze, I’d be leery of anything with that architecture.

Particularly in that case because Mazak had no idea of what or how to fix it. I found another Mazak user that had discovered the fix which turned out to be a corrupted file. Delete the old file and load a backup and it was usable again. Almost 3 days down for a corrupt file.

Having worked for a MTB (Doosan) that used the 0iM-F, I can tell you that the Hurco control is pretty hot BUT the rest of the machine may or may not be up to the control. On the other side of that coin, the Fanuc 0iM-F will need the smooth surface option, with 400 block look ahead, etc.
I have nothing against Hurco, they look like nice machines. But I'd go Fanuc with all the right "hot rod" options. Really, I'd go Okuma, but a properly optioned Fanuc would work.

I assume you're talking a VMC?
Never ran a Hurco, but I've heard stories on here from a few people that they just have no balls at all.

That would be the VM series. However, the VMX iron isnt too bad. That series is just as good as any of the other low-mid grade linear guide machines. A casual glance at the weight and spindle power specs between the VM & VMX will show there is a substantial difference.

I dont have any current models, but if your parts could be done on a manual machine, or repair work, then the Hurco conversational is pretty cool. Lot to be said about not having to post out 200 programs from cam to dial in some repair work.

Otoh, if you have higher volume than one offs, or pretty complex parts, I would rather have the fanuc.

I find a lot of stuff on the ultimax hurco weird/frustrating/locks up a lot. Newer ones may be better?

Back