What's new
What's new

Custom chuck jaw for cast part

guismooo

Plastic
Hi all, I'm having a hard time finding the best way to manufacture the part below.
I designed some custom jaws but I think it won't work, there's no way to get the part into the jaws.

I don't want to order a new chuck with long jaw stroke, so I was wondering what could go wrong if I mill the some chamfer on the jaws, I mean, do I have runout problems if I remove the jaws and put it again(cnc lathe is new to me..)

Part.JPG
Interference.JPG

I also thought about machining as below
Custom jaw.JPG

I appreciate any help

I have seen 2-jaw chucks for casting work, with jaws made to fit the irregular castings, sometimes poured in place with a low temp alloy.

Hi all, I'm having a hard time finding the best way to manufacture the part below.
I designed some custom jaws but I think it won't work, there's no way to get the part into the jaws.

I don't want to order a new chuck with long jaw stroke, so I was wondering what could go wrong if I mill the some chamfer on the jaws, I mean, do I have runout problems if I remove the jaws and put it again(cnc lathe is new to me..)

View attachment 323677
View attachment 323678

View attachment 323679

I appreciate any help

Several common possibilities - some of which you might already own:

- The one you probably do NOT already have is a self-centering TWO jaw.

The others you probably do have or can fab easily:

- A 4 Jaw independent with top tooled jaws. Not all four jaws necessarily utilized.

- A 4-J CAN be utilized to center the axis of rotation of the PART with oddly-shaped parts themselves being swapped in and out of a fixture or smaller 2 or 3 jaw, tooled to suit, and held IN the 4-J, too.

- A 3 jaw self-centering with TWO jaws removed, the remaining jaw clamping against a fixture fastened to the body.

- A faceplate, tooled as required. Not a lot of limits here beyond your own ingenuiity.

All of those for "fewsies".

Volume production/CNC:

- a power operated two-jaw, tooled as required.

- In extremis, for truly dificult parts, a "capsule" or jacket that is attached to each part off-machine, the "cartridge" popped into a common collet system of adequate size.

- Use a CNC VMC, not a lathe, "tombstone" fixtured as appropriate.
2CW

View attachment 323677
View attachment 323678

View attachment 323679

I appreciate any help
Can you grind or mill some clearance where needed in the jaws? They do not have to be symmetrical.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back