What's new
What's new

Cutting 4140 heat treated to Rc 50-55

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
I don't think I've ever cut heat treated 4140. How difficult is this condition to work with? The part isn't too complicated, it's got a few +/- .002s on it.

Thanks

You do not mention what type of tooling you have.
HSS, not so good.
I generally rough oversize, then heat treat, and finish by grind, or hardturn/hardmill with cbn, cermet or a really hard carbide grade.
It distorts in HT so at .002 I do not think you can go to finish size in the soft machine ops.
With enough samples run you can overcome the grow/shrink but you can't do anything about the warp.

Cbn by far the most predictable for hardturning and fast but $$, C6-C7 coated carbide for endmilling. If the milled feature can use a face mill, again cbn or cermet.
Tools must be pulled before they dull, try to push the life and things become a mess fast. Worn out tools here look like they have barely been run on the flanks under a magnifying glass or loupe.
We save the endmills and reuse them on softer steel. We color the ends blue before they go back into the tool drawers which means "lightly dulled".

We make our fixtures for holding large run carbide inserts on the grinders in this range for longer life and occasionally run into a toolholder or cartridge that the customer wants in this range.
It is a learning experience and expect some real frustration at first. Mid 40's is easy peasy falling off a log compared to this.
First time I tired I failed so miserably, broke everything over and over. Began to think it was just this side of impossible.
Dad, the old toolmaker and tooling guy comes out to see the job and says "What the hell are you doing?"
Bob

This is excellent information. I appreciate your input. Tooling is tdb, I can certainly buy what I need for the job. I'll get some prices for cbn tomorrow. That will help for sure. The milled feature I can't use a face mill. It would be a 3/16 end mill, which incidentally is one of the plus or minus .002 features.

I've got almost 1000 parts to make. I think we can get it right towards the end of the run. Ha.

part is solid and no hollow areas? no small holes or center drills?

It's approx. 6" od 4" Id, 1/2 thick, with a 1/8" lip on the outter diameter. The ID has the milled feature, say two .180 diameter half holes.

The 1/8 lip would be the plus or minus .002, so I could likely rough, treat, grind the back side, then turn just the face, and mill the holes. most everything else is .020.

We make a 4140 part at 50-52, the ID is a taper with a keyway, the OD is ±.0002. we now turn both with CBN. At one time we used Cermets, but find the CBN lasts longer on the interrupted cut and is easier to hold size with. Sumitomo BN250.

would be possible to rough out and then heat treat, leave .250 stock then finish it. inside diameters are tough.
even rough blanks can be distorted bad, but racking flat, or hang in a free state, and look into mar temper / mar quench it helps.
don't go crazy with feeds and speed, it will induce stress, and it will move.

For the milled feature can you use something like a SECO/Niagara 1/8" solid carbide high feed mill?

Harder than the hubs of hell

Not really. 50-55Rc is fine to machine. It starts to be a P.I.T.A. when the Rockwell gets to 60+.
When you're cutting 50+Rc turn the coolant off and use air blast. Obviously you'll have to slow down you speeds and feeds but once you dial it in it cuts rather easily.

Not really. 50-55Rc is fine to machine. It starts to be a P.I.T.A. when the Rockwell gets to 60+.
When you're cutting 50+Rc turn the coolant off and use air blast. Obviously you'll have to slow down you speeds and feeds but once you dial it in it cuts rather easily.

YES^^^

I routinely machine material in the 50 range with standard carbide tools. Small stepover, little slower SFM, no coolant (though I usually always run steel dry)

Personally I enjoy working with material in the 50sC and find you actually have to try to not get a mirror finish :D

Well, I started playing with hard 4140 and in the mill, I had to get used to low surface speeds and feeds. 50 SFPM and I haven't tried very heavy cuts.
IMCO tooling made for hard stuff.
Seems to work just fine.

Fyi everyone, we ended up not getting the job anyway. I'm still following along, but the urgency has gone. Thanks for the knowledge.

Back