What's new
What's new

Cutting thin walled tube

biglord4ever

Aluminum
I just got a request for 2500 saw cut pieces of brass tube. Problem is it has a .032" wall thickness. Any ideas how to cut this stuff without distorting/collapsing it? (I have an amada ha250w)

I think so. Using Polyethylene
Take a bottle with hot water
Fill tube polyethylene
Cut tube
Again bring to hot water
If you have more questions contact ma again.
Regards Libor

Is there a way you could run a piece of shafting up the inside of the tube and clamp it to your rollcase so the end is right behind the blade. It would act as an internal support right behind the cut, and you could still clamp it to keep it from spinning.

With a thin carbide blade not much machining pressure is developed, I think prismatic jaws would work fine in a pneumatic vice. Probably others are sick of seeing this youtube link but the OP might get some ideas. The vice jaws in the video open wide enough that the cut tube can fall clear. The small adjustable angles keep the uncut tube lined up in the groove on the stationary side. Tubing being cut it full hard thin wall hypo tubing. Because the tube is supported on the cut side burs are minimized.
YouTube
A less intensive set up would be using a similar blade in a live spindle on a lathe. The saw would make very small burs on a lathe.

What other tools do you have (hopefully not *just* the cut off saw)? If you have a small lathe you can do what's shown in FredC's video buy mounting a thin slitting saw on an arbor in the spindle, and making a guide block with a slip-fit hole in it that clamps into a tool holder on the compound (or replaces the tool post, depending on size of the tube).

Then use the cross slide to bring the workpiece into the saw, back out again to feed the tube to a stop you've kluged into place on the other side of the saw and repeat. 2500pcs is boring but not more than an a few hours work once you've gotten into a rhythm (don't get hypnotized though, the saw will happily cut you if you let it).

Depending on tube size you might drill two or three holes in the guide block as long as you can still control the tube stock with your non-cross slide hand.

whats the Diameter, most seem to use machines for thin walled tubing that resembles a home like copper tube cutter with rotating knife blades that push and cut the material. works the best with thin material like this.

I use an arrow cut-off saw for lots of stuff like this.

Weston 5000 RPM Arrow Saw

It has a little sewing machine motor with an very thin abrasive cut-off saw mounted on the arbor. You can actually hold pretty good tolerance with a little ingenuity. They are designed for very thin wall aluminum and carbon fiber arrows. I also took one apart and stole the motor and arbor and mounted it on the tool post of my oldest and shittiest lathe. I use it as a parting tool. It leaves almost no tit on the parted off material. The blade spins at 8k rpm and I turn the lathe at about 1000. Feed in gentle and it leaves almost no burr.

Back