What's new
What's new

cycle time spreadsheet

ACE323

Cast Iron
Hey all

We recently visited DMG in Chicago and they gave us a cycle time estimate for a part we are currently running on 1 of our lathes.Looking at it, I realized it was an excel file.It broke down the operations (ex.turn, cutoff, drill,etc.)
gave a cuttime for each and added them up for a total cycle time on that machine.Does anyone have an excel file that does this?Have looked all over the web and cant seem to find one-free or not.
Thanx
ACE

I have one that's set up for lathes. I can also send you an xla file that you can edit with visual basic, which will allow you to set up the parameters for each machine, max rpm, chip to chip time, etc...

Send me an e-mail.

Does it include all the factors involved in calculating the cycle start to cycle start time such as

Idiot operator deciding to hit the part against the stop, moving the stop in the process :eek:
Idiot operator picking his nose instead of changing parts
Idiot operator playing with his mobile phone/Ipod/wanger..... no delete the last one
Idiot operator just not being there.
Idiot operator getting a P45* for being such a pillock.

Oh well rant over... lets hope the next operator will be an improvement on the last one :rolleyes: it would'nt be hard :D

Boris

* P45 :- Tax form detailing your previous earnings, used when you leave or get fired from a company

Kindly share excel

I have one that's set up for lathes. I can also send you an xla file that you can edit with visual basic, which will allow you to set up the parameters for each machine, max rpm, chip to chip time, etc...

Send me an e-mail.

Hello,
kindly share excel sheet of cycle time calculations. my e mail id is [email protected]

Regards,
Venkatesh R Kamat

Hey all

We recently visited DMG in Chicago and they gave us a cycle time estimate for a part we are currently running on 1 of our lathes.Looking at it, I realized it was an excel file.It broke down the operations (ex.turn, cutoff, drill,etc.)
gave a cuttime for each and added them up for a total cycle time on that machine.Does anyone have an excel file that does this?Have looked all over the web and cant seem to find one-free or not.
Thanx
ACE

i would recommend you take 2 minutes and learn how to enter a math formula into excel. it can add cells or any math you want. takes about 5 seconds to enter a math formula
i usually use a excel work log and record times as program progresses and calculate average time a program was run before. thus if average is 5.0 hours and i am over average like 5.4 hours i record why i am over average time. it identifies problems, which i work on correcting so they do not happen again. so average time goes down as improvements are made not just to program but other things like checking critical stuff before it creates a problem. basically they are warnings. watch out or check this, it caused problems before

I know that this is an old thread but don't you guys use CAM? I know that Gibbs CAD/CAM and Bob CAD/CAM give you the overall cycle time and break it down into cycle time per operations. No math involved.

I know that this is an old thread but don't you guys use CAM? I know that Gibbs CAD/CAM and Bob CAD/CAM give you the overall cycle time and break it down into cycle time per operations. No math involved.

Why would you need CAD/CAM? It's easy to figure out how many Cubes you're moving a Minute. That is what the software does for you. What it doesn't do is add all the variables. Even the ones you know are there. IE how much time does the software calculate when it runs into an M0 for El Operator to do something? How does it work out Dogleg Rapids(rapids also not a real word Bob, but we'll go with it), as opposed to 90º Rapids, Rapid-Acceleration and Deceleration, Total IPM Rapids? Does it calculate the .02 deceleration of the Drill when it is Peck Drilling? Is Peck Drill deceleration set up in your Machine? Does that Machine even do that? When using G96, does it account for the time it takes when it gets to max spindle speed? Does it account for the time it takes for a Live Tool to engage gears? What about Turret index time? What if you are really taking a cut and getting into the torque band of the motor (but without error)? There are too many variables to really do it.

And that isn't just CAD/CAM, it's any Excel spreadsheet or whatever.

Robert

my experience CAM time calculations are of limited use. i can set the timer on a CNC that measures actual run time. if job is 8 hours and CNC says it was running 4 hours it is of limited use. 10 operators make 100 parts over many years and nobody and i mean nobody does job in 4 hours cause it take more time that just machine time
Excel work log you can record what is taking time. repeated problems can be recorded and thats what i work on. for example broke drill bit and spent time getting it out of hole and then finish the drilling. CAM never mentions tooling problems even though it can consume considerable time

CAM cycle time rarely reflects actual time to run a program. i have seen 200% to 400% more time needed for the "little stuff"
then there is a scrapped part and time required to remake a part. that can easily add time to the average times

Hello, tell me exactly, what you need, so I might be able to help. I work with planning software, which uses all kinds of aforementioned Excel sheets, or similar, but super simple tools for small manufacturers, so let me know, what you are looking for.

Back