What's new
What's new

CYCLE83 Peck drilling problem with post output 840D

markp

Hot Rolled
I finally got my DMG DMC103V with 840D machine making parts. Post processor is pretty good, only errors are on the peck drilling cycles. CYCLE83 runs but stalls with no errors at N91. Drill just goes up and down after the first peck in either peck or peck with full retract. Guy who is editing my post doesnt know what the problem is. Any suggestions as to what is wrong here? Cycle81 and cycle84 work fine.

N56 MCALL

N61 Z.4

N66 T2

N71 M6

N76 S2674 M3

N81 G90 G0 X.75 Y.75 F10.09

N91 MCALL CYCLE83 (.4,0.,.4,-1.,,,.063,,0.,,1.,0)

N96 G90 X.75 Y.75

N101 MCALL

N106 Z.4

PECK DRILLING FULL RETRACT SAME AS ABOVE

N71 M6

N76 S2674 M3

N81 G90 G0 X.75 Y.75 F10.09

N91 MCALL CYCLE83 (.4,0.,.4,-1.,,,.063,,0.,,1.,1)

N96 G90 X.75 Y.75

N101 MCALL

Does the cycle 83 have a mask (graphical interface) you can open up? You could use the mask to write a cycle that does what you want, and then compare that against your posted code.

Yes it does, but on this software version, its not graphical, just a long text file. It can be opened up in the text editor. I did look at it, way over my pay grade. I have no idea how to edit that. Just trying to get some data to the guy whos editing my post.

Last edited:
Siemens 840D can use regular gcode but also CYCLE calls. The syntax looks ok to me, heres the page from the 840D manual on CYCLE83.

Attachments

• drillcycle.jpg
    drillcycle.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 228
After reading the manual page posted, could it be the negative value needs to be a positive? I don't see any negatives in their example code.

Does the cycle 83 have a mask (graphical interface) you can open up? You could use the mask to write a cycle that does what you want, and then compare that against your posted code.

Thanks to pccasanova, I was able to get to the cycle masks. Go to program, open in text editor, highlight the N line with the cycle call, press support softkey, graphical cycle opens. It looks fine to me, I tried a few edits and recompiled but didnt find anything that would run, no errors with original code, any changes I made to the mask just causes errors (12080 I think) and program stops.

Attachments

• g83.jpg
    g83.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 74
Make a new cycle83 from scratch, using the mask.

On a new 840D that would require you to open a G code program to edit, then use the "drilling" soft key on the bottom to navigate to drill cycle.

There are so many versions of the software, and funky implementations from various builders, that your best source for sample code is the machine itself. Even on new machines, the cycles sometimes differ from the manuals, because the MTB's like to change things.

*edit* You could also probably put it in FANUC compatibility mode, then program with a regular G83. That would be like intentionally handicapping it though.

In the end, the guy writing my post just wrote a new MDD then created a few new drill cycles that I put into the macro folder in my cam software. Now I can just call those peck cycles up if I’m using that mdd for a part. They’re actually better than the stock Gibbscam peck cycles.

Make a new cycle83 from scratch, using the mask.

On a new 840D that would require you to open a G code program to edit, then use the "drilling" soft key on the bottom to navigate to drill cycle.

There are so many versions of the software, and funky implementations from various builders, that your best source for sample code is the machine itself. Even on new machines, the cycles sometimes differ from the manuals, because the MTB's like to change things.

*edit* You could also probably put it in FANUC compatibility mode, then program with a regular G83. That would be like intentionally handicapping it though.

Back