Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sharp SV2412 Gib adjustment order for Z axis

Long time forum browser, first time posting! I know there are several Sharp SV2412 owners on this forum and I need some help with adjusting my gibs.

I have a 2004 Sharp SV2412 that I purchased new in 2005. It has about 2700 milling hours. It was used for prototype work for 11 years before starting to use it for production work in 2016 (nearly 100% aluminum parts work). Now that the hours are adding up, it is way overdue for a Gibs adjustment.

In every description of Gibs adjustment I've read, there is no mention of the Z axis using multiple Gibbs. The manual only references one Gib adjustment location for each axis, which is true for X & Y, but according to the parts diagram there are 3 Gibs used on the Z axis.

Number 46 on the diagram below is a pair of gibs that contact each side of the Z axis ways, and number 50 is a third Gib that is only used on the right side way. Is there a sequence to adjusting these 3 gibs for the Z axis, or are they all adjusted at the same time?

sv2412-z-axis-parts.jpg

My plan is to adjust Z first before adjusting X and Y. I hope that is a decent approach.

Thanks!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The adjustments on Z are for adjustments in the Y-Z plane and for the X-Z plane. One on each box-way for controlling the front-back (y-z plane) rotation, and one adjustment on the right-hand way for the left-right (x-z plane) tilt. I would adjust the y-z first, then the x-z. Follow similar instructions as you would for the table gibs (check movement via prybar, backlash, etc).

You can use a large square or reach out an indicator from the spindle to tram the Z-axis using the gibs. If they are significantly worn/tapered then you will have a hard time getting it perfect.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 2005 model 2412 my manual says lossen the locking screw tighten the gib screw until it stops then unscrew it one turn and the tighten lock screw.